Quad will not start but turns over good.

This is a discussion on Quad will not start but turns over good. within the Engine/EFI/Drivetrain forums, part of the Can-Am DS450 Tech Discussion category; Take the center relay out and put it in the one next to it on the right side. And then put the relay from the ...

Go Back   Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com > Can-Am DS450 Tech Discussion > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications to your Can-Am DS450 in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Liked: 9 times
View bad moose's Photo Gallery(0)
Take the center relay out and put it in the one next to it on the right side. And then put the relay from the right side into the center. This is standing in front of the quad facing the rear.
Pink Wire Mod
BCS Basket
Epic a arms w/ kyb remote ressi shocks
XMX rear shock
XMX stem and bars

Sig worthy quotes:
I know I'm going to Hell.

Now it's just a matter of go big or go home.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 PM

View TNT's Photo Gallery(0)
No prob....locate the three relays in front as we said, looking to the rear take the middle one main out which controls alot of stuff like spark to the plugs then take the one out on right which controls the cooling fan you really don't need right now for this test and swap them, make sure key is off or you can throw a ECM code only dealer can reset for $. So if your quad fires up now and your fan does not work or turn on when the motor gets hot we know the center one main relay is bad. It's just a test we do, at that point you will need to go get a new main relay. So try that and do look at your plugs like we said then do the rest of the test. Let us know.

Your getting power to the starter it's cranking now just a matter of fuel or spark more than likey or decompressor and you said you hear the fuel pump work. There are two main grounds by your left foot I think or right check them, if the ECM can not ground the main relay/etc it won't work or start. You said you check all fuses so your ignition fuse is good. Just because the battery is turning over does not mean it's good, once you put load on it the low cold cranking amps or bad cell or open/short low volts can cause it not to start since all the power goes through the battery. Why I said jump the starter with a jumper or other 12 volt battery. Check your fuses again afterwards and tell me if one keeps blowing.

BTW do you have an engine light on or flashing?

Last edited by TNT; 02-10-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:24 AM

View fast rap's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote: Originally Posted by TNT View Post
No prob....locate the three relays in front as we said, looking to the rear take the middle one main out which controls alot of stuff like spark to the plugs then take the one out on right which controls the cooling fan you really don't need right now for this test and swap them, make sure key is off or you can throw a ECM code only dealer can reset for $. So if your quad fires up now and your fan does not work or turn on when the motor gets hot we know the center one main relay is bad. It's just a test we do, at that point you will need to go get a new main relay. So try that and do look at your plugs like we said then do the rest of the test. Let us know.

Your getting power to the starter it's cranking now just a matter of fuel or spark more than likey or decompressor and you said you hear the fuel pump work. There are two main grounds by your left foot I think or right check them, if the ECM can not ground the main relay/etc it won't work or start. You said you check all fuses so your ignition fuse is good. Just because the battery is turning over does not mean it's good, once you put load on it the low cold cranking amps or bad cell or open/short low volts can cause it not to start since all the power goes through the battery. Why I said jump the starter with a jumper or other 12 volt battery. Check your fuses again afterwards and tell me if one keeps blowing.

BTW do you have an engine light on or flashing?

he also needs compression!!

09 red DS450!!!
Wyotech Grad.. Motorcycle Technician!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:47 AM

True as he does an injector that works we have not got to yet. It's always best to try and isolate the problem and check the basics first. This sounds like electrical 9 xs out of 10, something basic like battery, plugs, fuse, relay, switches, connectors, then we move on to more testing like leak down, etc......the quad may start w/low compression but run like crap and blue/black exhaust smoke, but you're corrrect Fast Rap if he has not done a top end in a while and is loosing alot of compression that may become a basic check.

Last edited by TNT; 02-11-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:15 PM

View ds45095's Photo Gallery(0)
So i swap the center relay with the right relay with the key off and then try and start it. If that works i need a new center relay. right?

Last edited by ds45095; 02-14-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote: Originally Posted by ds45095 View Post
So i swap the center fuse with the right fuse with the key off and then try and start it. If that works i need a new center fuse. right?
Why are you calling relays fuses now? How old are you? Are you not getting any of this? Are you a kid out here just yanking our chain? If you are we have some BEEF CAKE MODERATOR's that have your IP address and they will hunt you down and run you over!!!! I'm serious all those guys that say Super Moderator they are like the cyber MEN IN BLACK!!

LOL!

You already checked the fuses, been there done that....Go back and reread it, yes we said if you swap "RELAYS" and it works buy a new one for the center. We can't get any more clear.

If that does not work send a buddy, dad, uncle, older mechanical person out here or to watch over your post that is mechanical and can understand easier or noone will respond.

PS: If you really are just not getting it I was just playing with you........relays as you see when you get to them are totally different than the fuse, they have points in them that open and close whereas fuses do not, to be taken seriously you need to READ and get your terms correct ok. If your middle one is bad I want you to tear it open and see the difference....there is also a coil there in them that is a electro-magnet that basically opens and closes the points when voltage is applied.

I don't mind taking the time with someone that is willing to learn so if you are sincere keep asking questions, in that case there are no dumb questions ask. I'm a old guy that loves to teach the young about things they enjoy.

Last edited by TNT; 02-11-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Liked: 1 times
View hcomras's Photo Gallery(25)
We are everywhere and we are nowhere....TNT knows his shit. Please read all replies thoroughly and try not to get ahead of yourself. We can't help if your not willing to help yourself. Like stated, you need to know the differences in the terminolgy used. Grab your owners manual and buy a maintainence manual and read it thoroughly. It will help tremendously.

Over n out.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Liked: 1 times
View hcomras's Photo Gallery(25)
Ds450 faq

Old 02-14-2011, 02:54 PM

View ds45095's Photo Gallery(0)
Sorry I ment to says relays i was tired when I posted that. It was just a typo I understand what to do and I read all replies. I just had a typing mistake . thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:28 PM

View CANAMMADNESS's Photo Gallery(0)
I can tell you an issue I had with mine (this is after the shop changed the ECU, wiring harness etc)

After it kept doing what yours is I checked the solenoids that run to the sparkplugs. The rear solenoid leading to the lower sparkplug had a bad female connection, so when I would rev the engine, or wind it out in a straight away it would die because that connection would come loose and the lower sparkplug would stop firing...... I’m know mechanic by any means and my verbage may not be perfect as the mechanics but this worked for me and I have never had another issue since fixing that one little thing...

Good Luck

08 Can Am DS

Can Am brush guards
UM nerfs
UM XC bumber
AC Full Skids
FMF exhaust

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com > Can-Am DS450 Tech Discussion > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain