Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner

Pink wire read first

50K views 51 replies 24 participants last post by  bdubs1203 
#1 ·
this is since no one seems to read the http://www.ds450hq.com/forums/general-discussion/2229-ds450-faq.html so here we go

ECU has two maps.

Uncut wire = stock settings
Cut wire = more fuel

If the wire is NOT CUT, then you will add more fuel with the fmi controller to bring the bike up to tuned.

If the wire IS CUT, then you will add less fuel with the controller.

The fmi controller is just a tool to add or take away fuel!

To tune it properly, you should do a dyno session and according to the o2 reading, you will add or take away fuel with the controller.

the fmi units are piggybacks, they do not interfere with the ecu. if the pink wire is cut, then the ecu is sending out a different map. the fmi tuners are piggybacks off of the STOCK ecu map, if you change the stock settings, the piggyback might not work like the fmi manufacturers suggest

See less See more
#2 ·
Correct! And if you notice Power Commander 3 and 5 give you the ability to programm or build your own MAP since they take in a signal from the Throttle Postion Sensor(TPS), which has to calibrated to the throttle valve on-the fly piggy backs don't do. In this case of building your own fuel MAP, it will be contingent on if the pink was cut or not when you built it since the PC module was seeing the voltage from the stock ECM when built. PC offers a few different base MAPS on their site for download if you don't want to go to the dyno, one can try use your plugs as a guide w/ any piggy back to fine tune. PC does not say "cut pink" on the site and offers a stock MAP download, so assume they work with it not cut and/or one could experiement with any piggy back to gain different fuel MAPs.

The ECM and piggy back are based on tabulated values they read to determine fuel delivery. In the case of the ECM, inputs from sensors of different SI units. In the case of on-the-fly piggy backs, fuel voltage frequencies from the ECM to the injector are read and some percentage above that voltage to add voltage/fuel depending on the setting. In the case of PC; ECM fuel & TPS, and in the case of the PC 5 autotune, additonal O2 sensor or oxygen level voltage input that senses load on the motor by how efficent fuel is being consumed or burnt.

As of today we are hearing rumor that the 2010-2011 ECM removed the pink MAP due to EPA emmissions violations, but left the wire intact. Nothing has been confirmed, if you own one you could do voltage checks to see if cutting the pink matters.

The stock and pink MAPS are two different stock ECM fuel MAPS, a "Race ECM" does not add more or change them, it just removes the "limp mode", a mode to protect the motor in the case of overheat. Word is some engine builders have the ability to reprogramm the ECM eliminating the need for the stock MAPS or piggy back with MODS. Check with them.

#3 ·
Well we didn't do any voltage checks on the pink wire on our '10's but I will tell you that on the 10 they have the pinkwire looped and sticking out. I assume to make it more accessible. Animal Cut his and pulled his baffle and removed his lid. I'm running showroom floor condition. We'll see if there is any difference in performance. The airbox is crazy loud without the lid....like louder than the exhaust.

#4 ·
I have a 2008 DS450. I have motoworks slip-on, spark arrester removed, and the pink wire cut. Do I have to have air-box lid off? Is it necessary or Will it cause any problems on? And can I reconnect the wire? Thanks.

#5 ·
You should be good with the lid on. I have full exhaust with lid on and it runs good no backfiring. If you're really concerned check your plugs.

Yes you can reconnect the wire with no problems, if you feel the need or get a FMI.

#7 ·
Interesting, but why?

#9 ·
Ahh, I see. That makes sense, removing the plastics is kind of a pain. IMHO I wouldn't see why you couldn't.

#11 ·
You can run the pink wire cut with the stock exhaust, ran mine like that for a few months before I got my FMF, it will feel a lot quicker than with it reconnected.

And to add something else it truly depends on what FMI your running when it comes to having the pink wire cut or connected, best bet would be to contact the manufacturer to confirm which one.

#13 ·
sounds like a huge hassle, just get a quiet core for your pipe and put it in when you need to

#14 ·
Hi,

I live in Belgium and have a can-am ds450x. 2009

I have a Motoworks SR4 slip-on, Motoworks FMI, airbox lid removed.

The motoworks slip-on and fmi are just two days on my atv.

I have searched several hours to find me a good answer if the pink wire must be cut with the fmi or not??

Some say it does'nt make a difference.
Some say (Motoworks themselfe) it will be to rich
Some say it wil be leaner with the pink wire cut.

I don't want to ride my can-am with the motoworks mods until i'm sure that what i am doiing is right.

I have the standard settings on my fmi.

Kind regards from Belgium.:icon_smile:

#17 ·
#20 ·
It looks like it but before you cut it, I think it was on the 08 models only!

#24 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the 2010's have that option!

#28 ·
My 2011 does not have the race map. I had to reattach the pink wire (that I was told by the dealer to cut) and purchase an fmi to compensate for the exhaust and intake. When I cut the pink wire it ran but wouldn't idle. Pulled the plugs and was runnin real lean. Fmi seemed to fix it.

#33 ·
#34 ·
Can Am DS450 R.E.Complete Exhaust Kit « Rossier Engineering

Click on installation instructions and it will show a better pict.

I believe you are looking to far back in the harness. It is closer to the key switch if I remember correctly. It is a pink w black stripe in a little loop.
Ye, i dont have The loop on mine, looked everywhere.. But there is an pink wire whit black stripe right next to where i am now. Mabye mine dont have that option..