Starting / Electrical issue NEED ADVICE - Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com
General Discussion This section contains all Can-am DS450 General Discussions.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Starting / Electrical issue NEED ADVICE

Subject: 2008 DS450 x

At the moment it appears that I'm having a grounding issue at the ecm but I'm just not convinced 100% to replace it. I'm hoping someone has insight as to what the problem can be.
The quad won't start (It won't turn over), I just get a click at the starter solenoid so the starter will not crank. I replaced the starter solenoid and it didn't fix the issue.

So I start testing. The positive side of the solenoid (comes from the starting button) seems to be good because I disconnected the ground side (Coming from the ecm) of the starter solenoid and provided a ground to the solenoid by connecting it directly to the negative on the battery using a jumping wire. When I do that I can get the quad to crank and start and idle. However, the check engine light is on and after I let it warm up I rev it up and instead of returning to idle it will stall.

To double check the grounding system on the quad I jumped that same ground side of the starter solenoid to the frame. The quad started and idled with the check engine light on.

Then I grounded that same ground side of the solenoid to the motor and the quad started and idled with the check engine light on

So I took my jumper wire off and hooked it back up to factory hook up. The quad won't turn over again.
I resistance tested the ground side wire from the solenoid connection to the ecm connection and it tests good.
Where I'm at right now with the quad is that it looks like the ecm isn't putting out a solid steady ground to the starter solenoid. Do these quads have ecm issues? Has anyone seen this? Or know where I should go from here?

Another thing - the quad has been sitting for multiple months on a battery tender. Was fine went I put it in storage

Let me know what you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

At the starter solenoid I spliced a wire that goes directly to the negative side of the battery. Now the quad starts up and goes to high idle, warms up to regular idle fine, but if I give it throttle instead of returning to idle, the rpms will drop down to a stall. The check engine light is flashing the whole time. Its not misfiring. Any help would be appreciated

I don't have a wiring diagram so I resistance checked all of the larger pins on the ecm connector for ground. I come up with pins M3 and M4 being ground. Can anyone confirm that or provide a wiring diagram?

I need to figure out why the ecm doesn't seem to be providing a strong ground to the starter solenoid?
What the flashing check engine light is?
Why it is stalling?

Any help would be appreciated

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com > Can-am DS450 Forum > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in