Ds450 faq - Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com
General Discussion This section contains all Can-am DS450 General Discussions.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
Ds450 faq

super mods please feel free to add whatever you want, but if your going to change something, please ask first, just out of courtesy

Welcome to DS450HQ.com, the largest ds450 forum on the web! Here you will find anything you need to know about the Can-Am DS450 atv. The members here are more knowledgeable than most of the mechanics that work on them, so feel free to ask us any question, no matter how redundant or complex. However, before you post a thread or PM one of us, please read this ever-growing FAQ. If your question is not addressed, feel free to use the "search" tab on the right hand side of the page. It will show an archive of old threads on the forum regarding your entry. Enjoy the site and enjoy your ride!

Posting And You... | Flash Videos

FAQ
1>what is the pink wire mod? how do i do it? what does it do?
-the pink wire mod is a wire located underneath the left side of the plastics near the ignition switch. cutting this wire releases a secondary fuel map that makes your fuel mixture richer and allows for mods including pipes, filters, intakes, cams, pistons, etc. you have to remove the front plastics by removing ALL bolts and torx screws. it is located near the ignition switch. it is pink, and in a loop separate from the rest of the harness.

2>my clutch squeals. why?
-the 2008 and some 2009 clutches squeal. there is a BRP update/service bulletin that fixes this issue by adding shift pawls, an extra plate and an oil squirter.

3>my bike wont start. what should i check for?
-relays! fuses! loose wires! we have all had these fail or go out, it will happen to you, its just a matter of time. there are 3 relays under the front plastics directly infront of the handle bars. they are 3 gray cubes. they are relatively cheap at your local auto parts store. you have 2 fuse boxes. one under the seat near the battery, one near the left knee area. check them. make sure your battery terminals are clean and snug. also check the solenoid underneath the battery.

4>my bike wont go past a certain RPM, why?
-welcome to limp mode. chances are you've overheated as these quads seem to run hot. there could be some other issues at hand, such as a loose wires or an electrical issue. cool the bike down before investigating.

5> how can i keep my bike from overheating?
-swiss cheese your plastics. use a hole saw to cut holes under the fenders to help heat escape. use heat tape on the bottom side of the gas tank to help keep fuel from boiling. BCS sells an extraordinary in-line cooler for your radiator lines that helps. also try adding water wetter or switching coolants to Engine Ice.

6>what will a FMI unit do?
-FMI units are piggyback fuel management systems that override your stock settings. they can be custom tuned for your mods, and you can alter the fuel input per throttle position. tuned properly they will help unleash all the horsepower in your new modifications.

7>do i need a FMI unit?
-no. there are plenty of riders running only the pink wire mod with great results. the FMI unit is not a necessity for modifications but it does help with on-the-fly tuning and altering the fuel curve for different styles of riding (drag vs mx for ex)

8> my rear brakes are gone! what do i do?

-alot of riders have had problems with the rear brakes failing and loosing pressure. what you need to do is remove the reservoir lid and slit the rubber cap that is on top. then bleed the system until pressure returns to the pedal. the rubber cap creates a vacuum and the oil cannot feed the caliper. slitting the rubber cap will eliminate the vacuum.

9> whats the best exhaust for my quad?
-never, ever, under ANY circumstance, start a new thread on this! there is no best exhaust! there are many, MANY great exhausts out there, some have more hp, some have lower db, some look better, etc. its all about your riding style and how much $$$ you want to spend. as of right now, Ron Woods (rotax.net) has the throne. his exhaust makes the most hp and has the highest gains across the board. Rossier (rossiereng.com) is a close second...these two guys have the most rotax knowledge and are great sources for information regarding power and efficiency. motoworks helped in the design of the ds450, and they have a power package that BRP actually offers to its racers directly. it is also a great exhaust choice, and much more affordable than the other two mentioned. HMF, FMF, yoshimura, etc. all make pipes for the ds as well. please do a topic search before asking about what we here at the forum think would be a good choice for you. there are many dyno sheets on the forum as well as each manufacturers website if you need them.

there are many things to check for as well:
front frame rails where upper a-arms mount for cracks
grease all bearings and carrier
spark plugs and boots

specs:
OIL:
1.8L
Oil washer: 12mm copper

OIL RELATED THREADS
https://www.ds450hq.com/forums/engine-efi-drivetrain/1173-whats-everyones-favorite-oil.html
https://www.ds450hq.com/forums/genera...ngine-oil.html
https://www.ds450hq.com/forums/genera...lter-help.html
https://www.ds450hq.com/forums/engine...ngine-oil.html

helpful ds specs:
ELECTRICAL:
Battery: 7 amp per hour

ENGINE:
Spark Plug: NGK DCPR9E (2 spark plugs)

FUEL:
Premium 91 Octane
11.5L (3us Gal.)
2.5L (0.66us Gal.) reserve

DS450 CLUTCH REPLACEMENT VIDEO

MOTOWORKS FMI INSTRUCTIONS
http://www.motoworks.com/05technical...01_I-Sheet.pdf

These are the causes of limp mode and various rpm ranges per fault

once again super mods please add as much info as possible as i know im missing alot

Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0003.jpg (87.0 KB, 100 views)

DIRTWHEELS DS450 SOLD!
2005 trx450r

Last edited by hcomras; 12-18-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 06:36 AM

At what hours are you supposed to change the oil? I have read to change at 5 hours
and also the first change should be at 10 hours. Which is it?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Liked: 28 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven08DS450 View Post
At what hours are you supposed to change the oil? I have read to change at 5 hours
and also the first change should be at 10 hours. Which is it?
Depends on your use. Alot of the racers (extreme use) will change their oil from every race to five hours. Average riders will go ten hours. Then there is the type of oil. Which there begins another chapter.

So it all comes down to personal preference. Although if you use Can Am reccommended oil their interval is 10 hours.

08 ds 450
Motworks SR4 G2
BCS Intake w/ KN airfilter
Pink Wire Mod
BCS Basket
Epic a arms w/ kyb remote ressi shocks
XMX rear shock
XMX stem and bars

Sig worthy quotes:
I know I'm going to Hell.

Now it's just a matter of go big or go home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:09 AM

Interesting information. I appreciate your post. Thanks for sharing it.

marlane
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to MFranco
Just a tip not a mod.

If your going to hook your battery to a charger, disconnect the battery from the quad and then charge it or it will burn out your computer system.

Great thread!!!

Leftover 2008 DS 450 X
Motoworks race motor
Motoworks pipe
reprogrammed ECU
Race Wiring Harnesses,
Modified Radiator
Can Am MX Bumper & Nerf Bars
Walsh Lowered Sub-Frame
Walsh A-Arms
Walsh Swing Arm
Walsh Rear Linkage
Precision Stabilizer
Precision Anti-Vibe Bar Clamp
Douglas Rims
Goldspeed Tires
Lonestar Axle
Elka Shocks- Factory Valving
E-Sticker Graphic
Deez Nutz Racing

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFranco View Post
Just a tip not a mod.

If your going to hook your battery to a charger, disconnect the battery from the quad and then charge it or it will burn out your computer system.

Great thread!!!
Too add to this use lower amperage (1-2) and you shouldn't have any issues.

Using a car sized battery charger on your Ds's battery isn't a good idea.

Give Rossier Enigneering a call for a faster DS! 715 3419919

Facebook
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM

Liked: 19 times
And don't try jumping it with your other ds with it still hooked up. Blows fuses and relays... Haha
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 PM

What size are the stock shims in the DS450?

10mm!!!!!!!!!

2008 DS450X
XMX parts for 50" race package
SR4G2 wrapped
Velocity oversize air filter
NGK race wires
Iridium plugs
E-sticky graphics
6 paddle extreme haulers
Sand Shark fin fronts
Wiseco 13.1 piston
Exhaust cam swap
CR High bars
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:46 AM

What are the torque specs on a 2008 ds 450 thank you
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 03:37 PM

Liked: 16 times
which torques specs? wheels, axle, case halves, cylinder, valve cover etc. if you want them all I would suggest getting a service manual

2015 freeride 154 aaen pipe, bondi box, diamond S hood
2013 600RS 128x2"
2009 ds450 vin#0001 13:1, dual ex cams, ron woods, pro armor, bcs, lonestar, walsh, blingstar, odi, itp, maxxis, AMR
2008 ds450X Yoshi, pink wire, AMR
2007 renegade 800 30" zilla's, snorkels, skids, high clearance arms and warn pro vantage winch
2006 renegadeX 1000sdi garbage motor got a 809 triple on the shelf and a 151" finger track
2003 7c special edition race ported 827 16:1 crankshop twins, 42mm bored TMx carbs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com > Can-am DS450 Forum > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in