budget mx build (A arms, tires, shocks etc.) - Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com
Suspension/Steering/Chassis Discuss major suspension, steering stem, chassis and similar modifications to the Can-Am DS450 here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
budget mx build (A arms, tires, shocks etc.)

ALright, i have a 2008 ds450x. Motor is strong enough. I used this quad for freestyle for many years, and now want to set it up for mx. Haven't raced much (officially), going to run 18" tires on rear, and 20" up front. I have a limited budget for this season. Options are to stick with stock shocks, buy lonestar 1.5" standard travel arms and throw new tires and wheels (beadlocks on rear). Also throw the adjustable axle on rear, or squeak 1/2" per side out of LTR wheels with stock axle. with the 18" rear tires my ride height will be 7 3/4" in the rear, front is hard to say as i don't have the a arms yet. has anyone run the LSR std travel? I feel the shocks may be a bit too soft with the extra leverage, also not sure if the ride height will work.
Other option, i can get a set of XMX a arms, cheap. And new, unused KYB xmx fronts (take offs), with the correct back spaced wheels. Would need to run the adjustable rear axle. I would still be using my stock single rate rear, wondering if the quad would sit too low in the front, also this option would be quite a bit more expensive. Im only 150lbs and the stock suspension always worked well, even when flat landing 80 ft when occasionally over jumping the landing with an aussie ramp.

Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 01:10 PM

Liked: 4 times
I would go with option two just cause of price. And I don't think the front will sit to low.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Liked: 28 times
I have a XMX set up with XMX length shocks up front. XMX rear shock with STD rear axle. I would say your better off with option two also. To save money I wouldn't worry about the rear axle right away. The stability and turnability is just fine with the narrow rear. Rotate the carrier and you'll lower the rear around another inch. STD rear shock is good some say better than the XMX. Don't forget the gearing for the 18 inch rear tires!

08 ds 450
Motworks SR4 G2
BCS Intake w/ KN airfilter
Pink Wire Mod
BCS Basket
Epic a arms w/ kyb remote ressi shocks
XMX rear shock
XMX stem and bars

Sig worthy quotes:
I know I'm going to Hell.

Now it's just a matter of go big or go home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
13 tooth for 18's correct?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Liked: 28 times
14/38 for mx

08 ds 450
Motworks SR4 G2
BCS Intake w/ KN airfilter
Pink Wire Mod
BCS Basket
Epic a arms w/ kyb remote ressi shocks
XMX rear shock
XMX stem and bars

Sig worthy quotes:
I know I'm going to Hell.

Now it's just a matter of go big or go home.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com > Can-Am DS450 Tech Discussion > Suspension/Steering/Chassis

Tags
a arms, mx suspension, single rate, xmx shocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in