polished swing arm... and frame rails.. and frame hips.. and... - Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com
Suspension/Steering/Chassis Discuss major suspension, steering stem, chassis and similar modifications to the Can-Am DS450 here.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
polished swing arm... and frame rails.. and frame hips.. and...

So i recently made the decision to polish the swing arm on my DS, there is an easy way, and a hard way, it took me a few nights to figure out the easy way. But I persevered and it turned out REALLY nice. So i started looking at the rest of the aluminum chassis parts and thought "i got this"... I started polishing the frame hips, within 5 minutes i began to regret this decision, extremely difficult to get into all the little corners and what not. Frame rails were pretty easy (20 mins) to get the perfect mirror like shine. I will post pics later today of the progress. If anyone wants to do the same, or even just their swing arm, I'd be happy to give you the details on the "easy way" to get that mirror shine - any aluminum parts can be polished, and it looks amazing when done correctly. I will be continuing with the stock (x package) grab bar and front bumper, and possibly the motoworks exhaust can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Hey,
So the easy way (FYI hard way thinking you can do this by hand)

Step 1: Clean the swing arm thoroughly, no dirt, oil or grease should be left on it, i used scotch brute pads and soapy water, use brake clean or acetone as the final clean. CLEAN WITH BRAKE CLEAN OR SOLVENT AFTER EVERY STEP.

Step 2: Remove rough finish, and pitting / porosity - Use a 5" angle grinder with a flap disc 120 grit or even 150 grit if you can find it. If you can only get an 80 grit, wear it out a bit on a piece of steel first. Smooth out as much of the swing arm with this step, CAREFULLY - DO NOT PUT "OOPS" LINES OR CUT MARKS FROM THE EDGE OF THE DISC"

Step 3: There are some hard to reach areas, use a dremel or die grinder with a small flap wheel to smooth these areas out, again the finer grit you can find the better.

Step 4: Now remove the grinding lines from the flap disc. For this use a drill, a cordless drill will NOT work, they don't have the power or the rpm to do this properly so don't waste your time. You will need a sanding disc mandrel (5") for your drill, get the velcro style one, preferably with a layer of foam in it so it can contour to the surface slightly. Use 240 grit sanding discs (wet or dry) to start, you can use water if you like to cut down on dust (I didn't, but wear a dust mask, ALUMINUM DUST IS EXTREMELY BAD FOR YOU). save the worn out 240 discs for later use. The worn out ones remove the lines from the fresh ones, this can save you from buying 20 different grits of discs.

Step 5: Use your dremel with a sanding disc mandrel to get into the hard to reach areas, cut your own discs from the 5" ones you bought. I went with 1 1/4" diameter, use a thin felt polishing disc as a backer for the sanding disc so you can get some pressure on the work piece. Remove the previous grinding lines in the hard to reach areas.

Step 6: Repeat steps 4 & 5 with finer grit discs (I went in this order - Fresh 240 grit, worn 240 grit, 1200 grit, 1500 grit, worn 1500 grit. Polish until you can only see 1500 grit sanding lines, and use the 1500 grit discs until they wear out, they will bring close to a mirror finish on the area you are working.

Step 7: You will need a 4" or 5" cloth buffing wheel and mandrel for drill, and a small cloth buffing wheel for the dremel. You will also need some "Tripoli" polishing compound (I used ENKAY brand). To put compound on the buffing wheel just "polish" the bar of compound a bit, you don't need much on the buffing wheel for this to work properly. You will see on the wheel it basically just stains the cloth a bit, you can figure out if you have enough or not pretty quickly by just trying it out. DON'T USE TOO MUCH OR IT WILL NOT WORK RIGHT AND JUST SMEAR POLISHING COMPOUND ON THE SURFACE. To polish the surface you don't need to use much pressure at all, and you should see pretty much instant results, the sanding lines will go away and you will start to see a mirror finish.

Step 8: Clean the surface well with acetone or brake clean, use a SOFT rag for this.

Step 9: You will need another fresh buffing wheel for the drill, and the dremel (you can't use the previous ones with the finer compound). This time use "White Rouge" polishing compound (again I used ENKAY brand). Apply this EXACTLY the same as in Step 7. This step should really start to show a brilliant mirror finish that would make Harley guys jealous.

Step 10: Apply aluminum wheel polish. I recommend using "Xtreme Polish" ONLY. There is no other polish like it on the market, it is impregnated cotton and it works AMAZING. You apply it by hand, it goes on in a milky liquid. Rub it on there for a while until the surface turns blackish, no need to let it dry. Rub it off with a clean SOFT rag, at first its will look dark and cloudy. Wipe as much as you can off with first rag, whats left on the surface should be dark and dry-ish. Grab another clean SOFT rag, and rub it until you reveal the awesome shine underneath. You should now have a ridiculously bright polished surface, and you will see your face with a huge grin staring back at you in the mirror like finish.

Step 11: Xtreme polish does make a sealer to help protect your polished surface. This would be an optional step. Re-polishing with the wheel polish regularly with help keep the surface looking great.

Hope this helps you get through this project, steps are the same for side rails, or frame hips, or pretty much anything made from aluminum. Every once and awhile a but of hand sanding was needed to blend areas in. If you do these steps diligently, you could polish your swing arm in only a couple hours.

Good Luck!
Clay \m/ \m/

Pictures today, if I have time.
alex-ds likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Polished Pictures

Here are pictures, hope they worked! I put one of frame (before polishing). Front bumper and grab bar are next!

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

IMG_0939.JPG

SA.jpg

side.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Liked: 28 times
Good Job! Wish I had the patience for it.

08 ds 450
Motworks SR4 G2
BCS Intake w/ KN airfilter
Pink Wire Mod
BCS Basket
Epic a arms w/ kyb remote ressi shocks
XMX rear shock
XMX stem and bars

Sig worthy quotes:
I know I'm going to Hell.

Now it's just a matter of go big or go home.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 07:18 PM

Looks good man
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 10:13 PM

Pretty clean and shiny good job. How do you maintain its finish by the way?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 10:27 PM

Liked: 4 times
Oh smokes! That looks awesome but like someone else said how do you keep it looking so fly?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 11:38 PM

Did you apply any top coat or its bare?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

So the Xtreme polish company makes a sealer as well prevents oxidizing an pitting.. so sealer on top, and just an occasional polish with the Xtreme polish and it stays mint! you don't have to do any abrasive polishing maintenance at all. FYI i haven't even repolished it yet, just left it with the sealer and its holding up awesome
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyloco View Post
So the Xtreme polish company makes a sealer as well prevents oxidizing an pitting.. so sealer on top, and just an occasional polish with the Xtreme polish and it stays mint! you don't have to do any abrasive polishing maintenance at all. FYI i haven't even repolished it yet, just left it with the sealer and its holding up awesome
That is great to know that it doesn't need some maintenance for now. Thumbs up!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com > Can-Am DS450 Tech Discussion > Suspension/Steering/Chassis

Tags
polished, swingarm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in