Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the 2009 XC & MX have different sized tires, how was the gearing change made by Can-Am? Is the transmission gearing or the sprocket sizes different? If it is the sprockets, what are the front & rear sprocket sizes of the two models.
No local dealers have the MX & XC on display in my area to see for myself.
I'm a duner most of the time. Anyone with an 09 XC or MX with paddles yet? Gearing for that?
I'm leaning towards the MX but will upsize the rear paddles to 20" OR 22" ITP SANDSTARS

2002 DS-650 Baja.....soon to be replaced by a 2009 DS-450 EFI XC 0r MX.
22" ITP Sandstars
Trinity pipe

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the XC version and I believe that the rear sproket is 3 teeth bigger then a regular DS. The front is the same. I ran this gearing with Sand Stars and it seemed to work really well for me. Raced my brothers outlaw 525s and it would come down to who got the better start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (klm20_2000 @ Jan 21 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have the XC version and I believe that the rear sproket is 3 teeth bigger then a regular DS. The front is the same. I ran this gearing with Sand Stars and it seemed to work really well for me. Raced my brothers outlaw 525s and it would come down to who got the better start.[/b]
Thanks KLM20,
What I was looking for was the gearing from the XC & MX, not a regular DS. So you used the stock sprockets on your XC for the Sandstars? Since the XC has 20" rears stock, did you use 20" Sandstars?
The MX has 18" rears so I'm looking for the gearing to use 20" or 22" Sandstars. 22" Sandstars really get a great bite off the line, but you do have to gear correctly for the larger size. I use 22" Sandstars on my DS560 Baja and changed the gearing one tooth down in the front and one tooth up in the rear to get the gearing right. We also use the 22" Sandstars on my sons Z400 with one tooth lower on the front sprocket. I'm looking forward to riding a DS450 160Lbs less in weight than my DS650 Baja. However, the Baja has been an awsome ride. Can't beat the 12" travel front and rear suspension. Not one thing has ever failed on my Baja. Hope the new DS450 in just as reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchased a 2009 DS450X MX last monday. Bought 21-7-10 front sandstars on 10 x 5 black ITP T-9 GP wheels( there are slightly different then the stock T-9 GP wheels, 1/2" wider stance each side), and 20-11-10 sandstars on 10 x 8 black ITP T-9 GP wheels, and a 13 tooth front sprocket. The front end is now 51" wide, :D WOW is it wide. I have set the back to 47.5" wide. 48.5 is the max the rear axle will go with the new wheels/tires. I'm going to Glamis for 6 days over presidents holiday. I'll let ya know how it all works out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CraZzYDS450 @ Feb 19 2009, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
update on the ride @ glamis with the ds450 mx? :ph34r:[/b]
I was also off Gecko road. You know the first left turn about half way in? Turn left and then about 200 feet up we cut out right into the sand about 500 feet, we were camped up on a dune all by are selfs, two toy haulers( lot of backouts this year). We really stick out because not to many folks air down and get away from the street side campers. We have been camping in the same spot since 2005 with no one anywhere near us.
Anyway, the 2009 DS450MX was awsome. At first, during break-in, I was a little scared she wasn't that fast. But later realized that it rides so much different than my DS650 Baja that is was just as fast. After day three I changed the break-in oil and let her rip! The duning is awsome, haulin. It really revs in third gear in the bowls. I changed the front sprocket down one tooth because I went up 2" in rear tire size from the stock 18"s. This makes the top speed slower but needed with my 200lb weight. My 130lb son was doin heal clickers and other tricks right away on it. To be 17 years old and nuts again! Day four we dragged my DS650 Baja and a 2008 TRX450R(with stock tires & gearing, a faster setup) on flat wet sand, it rained a bit. The DS450 MX jumped out front every time, the top speed was +/- 1mph with all three bikes. If I had the same stock setup as the Honda, I would have walked away. Remember also, my 130lb son was on the Honda and I still beat it every time with my slower gearing.
Left Glamis tuesday morning...see ya next year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh one more thing!
Going through the woops is amazing. Mind you I have been racing and riding for 38 years. It is so stable in the wooped out dunes...just punch it and fly through. Way different than the DS650, Z400, TRX450R, 660 Raptor, or any other quad I've ridden. I think that 51" wide front end and the rear suspension is really what makes the difference. It's so stable.

·
Registered
253 Posts
this is a great thread, i've been asking the same question on other websites.

has anyone else found anything knew out? maybe sprocket sizes for certain?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sproket size is 13\39 for me, tire size are 20-10-9 and 50 inch Wide front and rear. I found that the greates tork/ speed compromize in sand or track, all around gearing !

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi there i got ds 450 x with standard 34 rear sprocket , just like no happy medium size sprocket to put on , for tracks and like up mountains cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts