Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 450R and yfz450 and I am interested in getting a DS450. I would like to know how it compares to the others in its class. I've read the statistics, but i would like to know from peoples personal experience.

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a couple friends who race LTR's. My one friend has his LTR port and polished, high compression piston, full yosh exhaust, power commander, and cams. My DS pulls nearly as hard as his does with the racer support deal mods (see signature).

I've let them both take it out for a ride and they agree the suspension could be better, but I haven't fooled around too much with it yet to try and get everything dialed in. I eventually want to get some fox floats and a podium for it anyways.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have ridden yfzs, modded and stock, a modded Honda, and modded and stock Suzukis. The modded ones were everything you could possibly do to a quad. I like the ds better than all of them, hands down. It lacks low end power stock, but with just the slip on that you get with the racer program, it improves it so much. You also don't need as much horse power with the ds, because it is so light. The stock shocks are the best things i have ever ridden. I have ridden my old Suzuki with jb, and then gibson/elka, gibson/axis on the yfz, and walsh/fox on the honda. I have even rode a walsh/fox can am, and none of them are better. The stock a-arms actually turned better than the walsh. They seem to cut in the turns, as the walsh just pushes. Basically, I would recomend the ds over any other quad. The amount of money you are going to have to spend to make a diffrent brand compareable to the stock can-am, it only makes sence to get the can-am.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Blaster for all the helpful info!

Rich, You have the X model, doesn't it have the upgraded suspension? Is it a better ride then the yfz? I like the 450r more then the yfz just because its a smoother ride, the yfz is faster.... I was looking at the ds450x for something faster then the yfz but rides smooth like the 450r.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you Blaster for all the helpful info!

Rich, You have the X model, doesn't it have the upgraded suspension? Is it a better ride then the yfz? I like the 450r more then the yfz just because its a smoother ride, the yfz is faster.... I was looking at the ds450x for something faster then the yfz but rides smooth like the 450r.
I have the 450X MX. It came stock with 50" front end and the KYB shocks that go with them. I'm not sure if the suspension is any different than the regular ds450 or the ds450X XC. As I ride it more it's getting better. I think it's getting worked in. Plus I haven't set it up yet, that will make a HUGE difference. Front and rear shocks are all FULLY adjustable so I'm sure you could dial it in to suit your riding style.

Also I think I've changed my mind on the floats. I didn't know how much they were haha.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have the 450X MX. It came stock with 50" front end and the KYB shocks that go with them. I'm not sure if the suspension is any different than the regular ds450 or the ds450X XC. As I ride it more it's getting better. I think it's getting worked in. Plus I haven't set it up yet, that will make a HUGE difference. Front and rear shocks are all FULLY adjustable so I'm sure you could dial it in to suit your riding style.

Also I think I've changed my mind on the floats. I didn't know how much they were haha.

The shocks are completely different from the 08 ds, and the xc model. Way better that is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The shocks are completely different from the 08 ds, and the xc model. Way better that is.[/quote]

Are you saying the 09 ds450 shocks are better then the 08's ?? you lost me a little bit there. thanks.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
the base model ds and the xmx and xc all have different suspension. the xmx is actual long travel, where the base ds is not. the xmx and i believe the xc have a higher quality kyb shock with external reservoirs i think. thebase just hase piggybacks. unless your doing hardcore racing though, personally i dont think itll matter. i have the base model and ride everything from trails to dunes to tracks and have never had a problem with my shocks, just revalved em and couldnt be happier.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've raced LTr's since they came out... started with them stock and modded them as I went. I had ots of parts, lots of good luck with them, but I switched to Can-Am cuz I seen the potential and couldnt be happier with my decision. Once ya tweak the suspension and get it squatting down, its awesome.

The DS is probably the most forgiving and the least tiring of all the 450's to ride as well. Not sure about the KTM though.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The shocks are completely different from the 08 ds, and the xc model. Way better that is.

Are you saying the 09 ds450 shocks are better then the 08's ?? you lost me a little bit there. thanks.[/quote]

yes they are.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Same shocks . the only ones that are different are the xmx and the xxc. 08 and 09 base models all have the same shocks. the only difference between the 08x and the 09xxc is dual rate springs on front. The base models are the same.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm not sure what the difference is between the base model shocks and the XXC shocks. But I can say that the XXC shocks work great for being stock. This is coming from a little guy where most suspension is to stiff for me.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what is different about the xc and the base model, but the mx shocks are for 50 inch wide a-arms and are long travel. They have a diffrent spring, and different internal parts.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
the stock ds has dual rate springs in the front and rear as well, but its a different length and thickness, the xc and xmx have a larger/thicker bore and stroke than the stock shock. its the next level up in KYBs dual rate coil over shocks, and like i said the base model is piggy-back while the xmx and xc are remote reservoir and kashima coated. alll 3 models though have the same amount of tuning (preload, rebound, compression(the xmx has a dual speed compression adjustement)). the stock ds shocks are still better than all the other quads minus the ktms. the yfzrs new piggybacks are almost there, but have a lower quality spring

1 - 20 of 23 Posts