Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my ds450 since 4-6-08 . Changed oil on it 3 times. just got it back from swingarm bushing recall and flywheel bolt recall dealer changed oil after recall. i drove it about 4 hours and it was losing power power and started knocking its the rod bearing no doubt. all stock.Bringing it in on monday i have the extended war. but this thing is junk i had a 98 banshee in 1998 that i beat for 3 years without a engine failure and this new top of the line 4 stroke barely makes it a year and is half as fast as a two stroke. I bought this four wheeler to last and it let me down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Changing my oil 4 times in 100 hrs isnt enough? get real

My quad had less than a 100hrs on it. the oil change costs 30 a time its been chaged four times in 100 hours not including the 10 hour break in. Get real man. Oil thats $15 a quart shouldnt be drained after every ride. You work for the oil company?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I change the oil filter every time i changed the oil and cleaned out the screen in the sump. my oil always looked fresh when i drained it.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
yea either way total bummer....the 08s had a lot of bugs that they really shoulda worked out b4 releasing them...dont know how many times ive had to get my 08 "updated" but im practically riding a 2009 model now haha.your oil changes sound reasonable hell i dont even change mine that much, like you said at $15 a quart i want longevity haha..well hope this get you bent on all thumpers, although a banshee is a hard quad to top, hence practically no changes for 20 years.

·
Registered
323 Posts
that's crazy. i hear all these bad things happening to the ds, but i have NEVER had anything go wrong that wasn't my fault. maybe whoever is putting these bikes together is doing a good job. sorry to hear about that, man. mine has been nothing but great for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
talk all the talk you want my honda cr 80 dirt bike engine lasted longer than my ds450 engine. Not my fault it blew also i think this thing was put together like crap nothing was tight from the factory. I bragged up my ds too now i know better

·
Registered
79 Posts
ok bud the can am ds 450 is one of the most expensive 450's to maintain, i race mine in the mx disapin and i pound on mine i change the oil every week. if u want it to last u have maintain in no if's and's or but's, and sorry to say it kinda is your fault it blew and two strokes will run for a long time if take care of em no doupt i have a 1983 yamaha bw 80 that was rebuilt when i was 6 and i'm 17 now and it starts first kick i ride the shit outta this bike like every day on my pit bike track, but the ds going down is your fault change the oil more no matter how much it cost's u bought the most expensive bike to maintain i hope u new that lol but when u get it back maintain it properly, what type of oil did u run?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't think tweaked 4 strokes are the best answer for someone who wants a nice reliable quad. The Ds450 has seemed to be a fairly reliable motor compared to others. Of course it hard to judge or compare just going off what I hear.

The days of changing oil, clean the air filter & having countless years of use is probably gone. Compare it to say a banshee 350 they both have some issues & there is no comparison in handling either. Compare it to a Honda 250r well the 250 is hard to beat all around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im 28. I dive my fourwheeler. to go ride i will ride it to the river trails 15 miles drive it all day in the trails and then drive it 15 miles home. I shouldnt need to change oil every time i drive it. In europe they sell this fourwheeler street legal it should hold up. Rotax should stick to 2 stokes. All you 17 year olds saying i dont maintain my stuff if you changed your oil everytime you ride when your 28 you will be broke . Ive had them all from atc250r's to trx450r's this thing went down sooner than anything ive every owned. Its a great riding machine but an old pimped out 250r would spank this thing in all aspects

·
Registered
79 Posts
my 450 is not tweeked at all besides a race ecm and a pipe, i've had a trx 450r thing broke on me almost every time i went to the track it was a pos looked great handled good but the motor was shit from day 1, my buddy has a 250r and the only thing better about it is it will beat mine top end, on a track he cant touch me and me and him are = when it come's to riding skills, look at all can am's other 4 bangers they all have great reputations. ok my honest opinion is i think u bought a lemon, take two brand new ds's maintain em the same ride em the same everything the same but one might end up blowin up before the other one thats what was wrong with my honda sadly it had a bad engine from the factory i think thats happened to u, u unfortunatly bought a bad one shit happens now dont trash em cause the ds 450 is a great bike u just had one bad experience with it and buddy i have no money with gas cost's, bike repairs, entry fee's, and maintance cost's so man i know what its like to be broke, i only work at a grocery store part time, and i work for my dad, so i'm broke i can barely get by but i'm makin it work its not impossible so i'm sure it will be no different when i'm 28

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
well, I have had no problems in the motor department yet, only the cracked cases. I dont change my oil that often, i don't think it is necessary either. You should change it often, but not every week, but it does depend on how much you ride. Did you check your oil filter? is it put in right? Putting it in backwards can block all oil flow, and its not hard to do. I would start taking it apart and investigating. I'm going to bet something was put together wrong by the dealer. It happens, everyone makes mistakes. I just don't think that your motor would blow that quick. Good luck with it though.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
yea sounds like a lemon. no doubt old 2 strokes are way better, more power, lighter, less maintainence, but shit its 2009 times change we can bitch all we want but the fact is to ride you gotta take what you can get. 4 strokes are no doubt the future and theres alot more crap that goes with em. i totally understand that it sucks, we all spent a big dime on the bike and i know were all pissed that its gotta get recalls, updates, warranties, BRP should def cover it or refund you cuz that sux big time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yea no doubt the ds is a POS!! Mine has had so many problems all ready and i have hardly ridden it. The crank gasket has blown twice, the clutch is all ready worn out, the chain has been throwing up untill i bought a 120 dollar chain guide, and the rear brakes stopped working after 2 rides!!! I had a few updates done to it before i even picked it up, so thats that many problems i didnt have luckily.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Yea no doubt the ds is a POS!! Mine has had so many problems all ready and i have hardly ridden it. The crank gasket has blown twice, the clutch is all ready worn out, the chain has been throwing up untill i bought a 120 dollar chain guide, and the rear brakes stopped working after 2 rides!!! I had a few updates done to it before i even picked it up, so thats that many problems i didnt have luckily.
Well it seems like you just had bad luck with it. I have had my problems, but every quad does. My suzuki blew up 6 times last year, and the can-am has not yet. I guess its just luck, you must have gotten a lemon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i had a 2001 banshee use to road ride it more then anything it was fast as all hell i had it going 160 it did have alot of crap added to it but the old 2 strokes werent lighter and needed so much stuff to make them able to compete the shocks suck the axels arent very strong...hell i rolled mine side ways once not even that bad and the front end of the frame right behind the rad collapsed on both sides....i loved the bike...id buy one again for the right price and id change out the suspension and so on make it track worthy but the cam am is ready and is alot more comfortable to ride and easier to handle and has amazing potential...ever thing u buy has problems in the first year or 2 and thats why they say dont buy things in the first year of production...iv only had my ds for a week and i love it and i also have a yfz450 i got for free iv driven evrything but i love the ds

1 - 20 of 26 Posts