Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as my first sport quad i choose the 2008 ds 450, i came from a 400 utility quad having little knowledge about quads in general. normally i ride trails and stuff but i had the opportunity to go to a local track so i did. i never thought i would need to adjust the suspension or anything but apparently its a neccesity. when i was riding occasionally i would hear it bottom out and i was ok ill tighten it up later. when i got home and unloaded the quad i noticed the back brake wouldnt work, turns out i was bottoming out so bad that the rear brake made a nice dent in the exhaust and also broke the brake. is this something one would expect without altering the suspension from the stock setup because i definitely wouldnt think something like that should happen

·
Registered
35 Posts
well most stock 450's off the showroom floor are setup for 175lb riders. if your not 175lbs it would need some fine tuning depending on how much your weight differs from the factory setting. how high are you jumping?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i weigh 152 and the only gear i had was work boots a helmet and gloves, not that high the track we went to was very small, the only time i felt it bottom out was when i overshot the landing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brand new, this was the first time i really rode it hard to, what would i need to adjust so this doesnt happen again. besides this the quad was insane it soaked everything up and i could keep up with everyone there

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am not 100% sure on how exactly to do it so i am going to refer you to a thread that someone posted in the suspension-steering-chassis area. it's called "setting up your suspension" xrider77 posted it. it basically tells you everything you need to know about dialing your ds's suspension in for whatever type or riding you will be doing. it is very helpful. take a look at it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
you should get some pictures of the damage.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
What is your ride height right now? ( you , on the bike w/ all gear on bottom of frame to flat surface. front and rear)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts