Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 DS 450. I bought it new in may of 2009. It doesnt even have ten hours on it and my rear brakes failed. I havn't ridden it for a month because i've been busy. I got on it to put it on the trailer and I had no rear brakes. We checked the fluid and it was full. We tried bleeding the brake lines and it has air in it and while bleeding it black specs came out with it. Has any one else had a problem like this?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had to replace my Rear brake pads after 10 hours. although yours doesnt sound like problems with the pads.

Maybe a seal wore on the brake pistion and its parts of the seal?

·
Retired Moderator
3,417 Posts
check all your lines and pistons for cracks where air could get in ,it seems someone else had the same problem on here a while back

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I had my exhaust pipe burn through one of the braided lines, That could be a possibility. If it isn't that, one of the seals somewhere probably let go.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Evne Just bleed out the lines first before you tare everything apart... Its very possible you could just have an air bubble in there and once that clear hopefully be good to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
rear brake problems

i had same bloody problem but i almost went over a cliff! cut a small slit in the lid seal and bleed - magic fix, apparently this is all the dealers do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
brake prob

hey guys my names cory, im new to this forum , anyway just bought a left over 08 ds 450 i put about 7 hrs on it ,pulling back to camp i went for the rear brake and i got nothing just a soft pedal all the way to the mechanical stop ,the back brake was useless .....pissed i loaded it up and said the dealer can mess with it ,cause its still under warranty .... well i got the call from the dealer today he said there was mud stuck between my caliper and pads acting like a stop so the pads were rubbing on the rotor long enough to have the pad material burn away and also warp my rotor
it sounds like blown seals to me as the culprit ive only ridden the quad 4 times 3 of which were in my back yard and i wash it afterwards
and with brand new pads im pretty sure you would get some sort of an indication of them being stuck like that ..... a rub ,squeel , slugish, wouldnt coast well, ect........
whats your input guys

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here is the fix, it costs absolutely nothing, Open your rear master cylinder and there is a rubber seal that goes over the rezzy, you need to cut a 1/4" slit in it w a utility knife. Put the seal back in and put the cap back on. The seal creates a vacuum and you lose pressure in the master cylinder, once the slit i there it eliminates that vacuum. this is what the dealer is supposed to do, it is a TSB for the atv. Once you are done, rebleed your brakes and you will be fine going forward.

·
Registered
295 Posts
PS, the rear pads are junk, I burned them off in one muddy/ wet race. Replaced them w DP Brake pads and after 8 races they are still in perfect shape, and I use my rear brakes a lot racing in the woods.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Chris I can see the vaccum prssure causing a hydraulic vacuum lock and causing this, is the bulletin for the 09's have you seen it or got a number or did they came up with another way to releive pressure in 09? Does the slt leak where do you cut vertically?

So DP pads ehh I was just talking about this yesterday bout time for new ones, thanks I would have ordered stocks. Where did you get your Parts Unlimited? Looking at thier site no DS listing? http://www.dp-brakes.com/products.php

·
Registered
295 Posts
Terry, I havent heard of any isues w the 09's but not sure, if you pop the cap off you will see the rubber piece I am talking about, if you have lost the brakes, it is still an issue, if you havent, they might have another part that is venting it. There are no leaks as this is covered by the screw on cover and no issues what-so-ever w the brakes since I did this.

Here is the part numbers directly from DP, I was sponsored by them last year and loved them, unfortunetely the company they used for sposrship decided they wanted to charge a fee to the sponsored riders this year. But I am so sold on DP's products I will continue to use them. They are now offering clutch kits for the DS too, the first company I know of that is offering clutch kits for our bikes.

Here is the part numbers
TypeMakeModelCCRefYearFrontRearO/FrontO/Rear
StandardCan Am/BRPDS450 2008-2009 DP991 DP992- - StandardCan Am/BRPDS450X 2008-2009 DP991 DP992- -

·
Registered
295 Posts
For anyone interested in the Clutch Kits
DPK218
I am not sure if this is the 8 plate or 9 plate, its listed as 08. You may need to ask them to throw in one more plate for the 09 update or 09 bikes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same problem with my new can-am. I slit the seal, bleed them, and they worked awesome.
I've cleaned them, scrubbed them, bled them, bled them again, and even said a few choice words to them and nothing has seemed to help. If you can tell me which seal to split and how much to split it I"ll give it a try.

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Disregard the previous post, I just saw Blizzard's detailed instructions. I'll definately be giving this a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
For anyone interested in the Clutch Kits
DPK218
I am not sure if this is the 8 plate or 9 plate, its listed as 08. You may need to ask them to throw in one more plate for the 09 update or 09 bikes.
It is a 8 plate kit for the 08's. When I talked to them they didn't have anything for the 2009+.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts