Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the dealer, the fuel pump on my buddy's 08 DS450 is shot. The quad is only a year old, has anyone else had their pump go so soon? Could the problem be something simpler (and less expensive) like faulty wiring or relays?

·
Registered
459 Posts
My went out 8 months after I bought it. My warranty covered it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
broken fuel pump

my fuel pump is broken and the dealership told me that I am 6 months out of warranty and can am is not going to cover it. I have only 28 hours on my machine and it is only a year old I got it last july. the dealership is trying to charge me 450 to replace it. does anyone have any suggestions for me because I don't think that a fuel pump should go on a brand new machine with less than 30 hours on it

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
It is in a weird spot, and its tough to get to. You can do it yourself, but just don't pinch the gasket when your putting it all back in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ya mine is on the way out going to the stealer ship soon as I get the arms on her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This weekend my DS450 quit and then wouldn't start with the electric starter, I jumped it off and it ran, now It won't fire up, I noticed I can't here the fuel pump when the key is turned on or when its turned off. Does this mean my fuel pump is toast too?

·
Registered
459 Posts
This weekend my DS450 quit and then wouldn't start with the electric starter, I jumped it off and it ran, now It won't fire up, I noticed I can't here the fuel pump when the key is turned on or when its turned off. Does this mean my fuel pump is toast too?

Check your relay.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just had the exact same thing happen to me this weekend at the race track and it was the fuel pump relay. Other than getting your pastic off, this is an easy problem to confirm. Your relay panel is on the nose of your bike behind the radiator. There will be three gray colored relays on the panel. You can see them with the plastic on through the opening beween the handle bars and the radiator; however, the opening is too small for me to get my hands in. As you stand in front of the bike and look at the handle bars, the fuel pump relay is on your right side. On the left side is the fan relay. These two relays are the exact same part. Just switch them around and you'll know real quick if you have a relay problem or a pump problem. If it is a relay you can get a new one from Can Am for around $15.

Hopefully this will help you out. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
When the relay starts to go bad , it gets hot and supplies the pump with low voltage , this causes an array of problems , irrattic fuel pressure ( which the rotax does not like) , low fuel pressure ... and runs on 9 volts , the windings heat up which causes the pump to fail prematurely .
The real deal, is a bad relay sometimes causes low voltage instead of no voltage and that causes the fuel pump to work irrattically which cause low power and overheating of the pump which can cause premature failure

·
Registered
505 Posts
looks lije I am going to get a spare fuel pump.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts