Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys new to the forum. Just got my hands on a 08 ds450 and it has a slight knock that goes away as the rpm increase. Any rpm increase makes it go away, even just the extra rpm the bike gives itself on startup makes it go away. Took the valve cover off and there is oil getting to the top end. Cleaned the stain in the oil tank and all the of lines going to and from the motor are clear. My buddy has a 15 ds450 and we put his tensioner in for 20 sec to see if the problem persists and it did. I feel like it’s a bearing in the bottom end just seems strange that the problem almost completely goes away when I give it gas. Plus, wouldn’t a bad bottom end bearing get worse overtime? I’ve been running the thing on and off for quite a bit and the issue has stayed the same. Anything helps, thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got one and mine does the same thing these rotax motors are pretty noisy try getting an oil change and new oil filter and look for metal shavings in the oil that will tell you if your crank Berings are going bad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got one and mine does the same thing these rotax motors are pretty noisy try getting an oil change and new oil filter and look for metal shavings in the oil that will tell you if your crank Berings are going bad
Tore the motor apart. Inspected everything. The bearings were mint, everything else was fine. Two main issues tho, the balance shaft gear was missing a tooth due to the fact that the crankshaft balance gear had a bent tooth. First I noticed the missing tooth on the balance shaft, realized it had some play, replaced that. Then upon assembly I was spinning my motor by hand without putting anything together except the case. It would go all the way around and then stop at one very point. Inspected them outside the case, found a bent tooth (prob just from metal shavings as the guy before me blew the top end and rebuild it and forgot to clean the bottom end properly). The bent tooth wasn’t mating properly with the balance shaft, causing extra weight which caused the tooth to break off. Bought the parts, like 400 bucks. Pressed everything in, span perfectly fine afterwards. First start up was last night and problem seems to have gone away. Like you said those motors are very noisy, and the little knock seems to have left. For everyone wondering it was not loud but was not quiet. It was noticeable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts