Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in speaking with some people and reading the different forums, it appears the weak link in the DS450 is the clutch basket. I sent my DS450 back to the dealer to have them get the 09 parts in but they couldnt even get the quad to make the same noises I had heard from almost the beginning. ( Funny thing is as I unloaded the quad from my truck and began to ride it into the garage, there is the noise).

I am sending my clutch basket to Hinson to have them rivet the clutch gear onto their clutch basket for piece of mind during the 09 XC season. I talked to Ron Hinson today and the turn around time is about 3-4 days +shipping time and for $239 it seems like the logical choice to go with.

My question is... What is involved with getting the clutch basket off? Any special tools needed? My YFZ was a piece of cake w just basic hand tools and an air gun, is this the same or do I need anything special?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
similar process to the YFZ, except the inner hub and pressure plate is kinda the one unit. its no harder to take apart, just takes a little more time and care to reassemble

·
Registered
900 Posts
Talking to EPIC about the 08 they said the pros wore the clutch like crazy and they offer a FULL repacement for like $1200 that extends the life like 5-6 times. I checked the clutch plate cost on the 09 and it's not cheap, dealer cost is $140, so if your blowing clutches every hour it may be worth it. I'm running test now on the 09 to see if it is fixed, we have about 30 mins on it, at 1 hour i am going to pull the cover and inspect the clutch. The squeel noise is still there but I am not concerned about it, I think it's the design and nature of the engine. Whats ironic about the 08 clutchs, from what I have read is there is not 100% failure rate so that tells me two possible things,

1. In most assemplies there are an accumilation of tolerance of parts +/- and depending how they sway may cause problems or may not.

2. Some riders styles wear clutches out faster than others, I know we do.

I'll say this, if that basket breaks like I have seen on ATVRIDERS is not going to be pretty, parts can get into the motor. At that point I'll be in touch with Can AM for a warantee claim. Dealer cost on 09 basket $135, hub $45.

The 09 clutch cover mod does make sense to get more oil to the upper plates and keep the fatigue heat load off the basket and assembly, but whether that fixes the problem is TBD. The 09 basket is the same as 08, I would have like to see the stock basket beefed up too, but that would have been costly to Can-Am. I doubt they tested(other than a rider test on the factory quad) their new 09 design and sent out to be feild tested by us.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Epic charges 1200, but Motoworks is only charging $700. They have made a really good clutch assembly. The 09 stock clutch is made to get more oil in it, but they did not make it any stronger, therefore your still going to have problems with it exploding. I am going to order one from motoworks soon, that is the entire clutch assembly, except for the plates.

I wouldnt waste my money on buying it from can-am!

·
Registered
224 Posts
i must be lucky, i mx race mine and rly beat on it, and have no problems with mine (except for the squeel)

·
Registered
34 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (joeyds450x @ Dec 19 2008, 03:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i must be lucky, i mx race mine and rly beat on it, and have no problems with mine (except for the squeel)[/b]
Same here, my ds was made 1/08 and i been ridin hard on it at the dunes, never had a problem with the clutch so far except the false nutural

·
Registered
36 Posts
well I too have been very lucky....I have had no problems with mine. I just know whats going on and whos charging what.....I am going to buy an aftermarket one from motoworks though....just incase ;)

·
Registered
900 Posts
I finally got the September 26, 2008 service bulletin and new parts in front of me, the stock 08 hub has been redesigned(remachined deeper) with new clutch plates that have rounded corners that are installed a certain way to prevent binding with the inner hub and breaking and basket failure....an additional plate has been added that sits up against the hub w/the rounded corner, the rest of the rounded corner plates get inverted toward the drum/basket. The cover has a new oil hole too...This 09 design fixes the problem and has NO history of failure, the parts can be used on the 08's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah it has no history of failure cause the bike has been out that long, and no pro race teams raced the bike yet. When I first bought my quad, the clutch problem wasnt as popular as it is now. The basket is still made light weight, and it will fail eventually.

·
Registered
900 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mr. big time @ Dec 29 2008, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah it has no history of failure cause the bike has been out that long, and no pro race teams raced the bike yet. When I first bought my quad, the clutch problem wasnt as popular as it is now. The basket is still made light weight, and it will fail eventually.[/b]
Don't know about the basket, but nothing is made to last forever. Motoworks(Johnny) said the basket was failing because it 'grooved" from the plates that broke then caused the basket to fail. Well this service bulletin clearly fixes the problem....the plates now have rounded corners and the hub is longer to prevent slippage. For less than $100 08 riders can gain as much peace of mind as replacing everything w/after market for $600-$1200. If you had all the new parts and assy in front of you'd see what I mean....I'm just amazed at how much bs floats around forums and how people buy into it. I hope we don't get alot of sales people on this site....I like it so far. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
how is it under $100, after switching to the 09 clutch parts its still way over $100, cheaper than 1000-yes, but most certainly not cheaper than 100

·
Registered
900 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mr. big time @ Dec 30 2008, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
how is it under $100, after switching to the 09 clutch parts its still way over $100, cheaper than 1000-yes, but most certainly not cheaper than 100[/b]
Yeah your right it'd more than $100 for most, my sponsor gives me big discounts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
where are you finding the motoworks clutch? i checked their site and didnt see anything... :/

·
Registered
9 Posts
DS450X Clutch problem

My wife's 08 DS450X we purchased 2 months ago. From day one the clutch made noise especailly when cold. I called the dealership and they said they did not have any recalls of any kind. She rode it several times and each time the Clutch acted up making noise etc. By reading your posts here I knew of the issue so I called the dealership back and they called Can AM and opened a call ticket. After pushing them hard by calling Can AM myself and the dealership Can AM finally ok'd the repair and upgraded the clutch to the 09 Basket and added another plate. We went riding last weekend and it never made a noise and seemed allot smoother on engaging and disengaging. If your under the warranty and push them they will take care of it!

DS450X
No Air box lid
Pink wire cut

·
Registered
155 Posts
Alright I have a 09XC and according to the engine code and the service bulletin it needs the clutch update. I have tried three dealers so far and no one will do it under my warranty!:ireful3: How are you guys getting yours done under warranty? Kind of sucks when I have to tell the dealers about the clutch bulliten.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
im telling you they are clueless when it comes to the bullitens...only way they ever even get em is by calling BRP...and they dont wanna do that. go straight to the manager and give him an earful. tell him its not rideable and that you feel unsafe on it...tell him your going to the store owner...theyll budge.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts