Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a 2008 DS 450 X with the MX race package installed. We followed the break in procedure to the book and changed the oil. put another 2 hours on it and changed the oil once again. This machine has less than 5 hours on it and it blew the Crank Case Gasket out the rear at the swing arm bolt. My question is has any body else experienced this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My son has a 2008 DS 450 X with the MX race package installed. We followed the break in procedure to the book and changed the oil. put another 2 hours on it and changed the oil once again. This machine has less than 5 hours on it and it blew the Crank Case Gasket out the rear at the swing arm bolt. My question is has any body else experienced this?

Take it back to the dealer, they should sort it out!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke with the BRP race team and they are having this problem in Canada but not so much here in the states. Can Am is aware of it so hopefully the dealer will take care of it. I am a little leery since we did sign up for the race program and it clearly stated in there that this would void all warranty.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I spoke with the BRP race team and they are having this problem in Canada but not so much here in the states. Can Am is aware of it so hopefully the dealer will take care of it. I am a little leery since we did sign up for the race program and it clearly stated in there that this would void all warranty.

well, I have had both blow out, side cover and case gasket, both were fixed under warranty. You should be fine, but I cant say for sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This happened to me as well!!! I rebuilt the dang motor and put a high compression piston in it. Not only does it run like a dog now but the crank gasket is leaking in the same spot again after 1 race!!. So far i am not impressed at all with the performance or reliability of this machine. I recomend anyone trade it in for a yamaha or honda.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i wouldnt blame the machine, i've beat mine pretty good from day 1. i am hard on anything, hell im hard on a lawnmower. no problems with my bike yet

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a YFZ that i have beat on for years and have never had a gasket go bad. I hardly have any hours on this can-am because i cant ride it without breaking something. When the gasket blew out the first time i noticed that the bolts werent even tight!! These things have some design and manufacturing issues for sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well i raced once 2 weekends ago after rebuilding the motor. I put lock tight on the bolts and torqued them to spec, and the gasket is now blown in the same exact spot!!! does anyone know if they are going to come out with a fix or no?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well, I had mine done, and it has not blown yet. Make sure you don't over tighten the bolts, that could be causing your problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bought my base 450 in may this year. it was a brand new 08. i somewhat followed can-ams rules for breakin her in, but basically i been beatin the hell out of it. i havent met a 450r that can beat me, out of the hole, top end, anywhere. no problems to date...knock on wood!! TY guys for lettin me know what to look forward to!! lol

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
bought my base 450 in may this year. it was a brand new 08. i somewhat followed can-ams rules for breakin her in, but basically i been beatin the hell out of it. i havent met a 450r that can beat me, out of the hole, top end, anywhere. no problems to date...knock on wood!! TY guys for lettin me know what to look forward to!! lol

Not all of them have problems, you might have gotten a very good one!

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
The problem with the motor is there is to much of a gap between the two centercase bolts. We sell some sleeves that can be installed in your motor that will allow the swingarm bolt to become the third clamping bolt for the centercase. The sleeves are cheap only $50 and will take care of this issue for you. We run them on all our race machines and have no issues.

BCS Performance 413-736-2201

·
Registered
83 Posts
The problem with the motor is there is to much of a gap between the two centercase bolts. We sell some sleeves that can be installed in your motor that will allow the swingarm bolt to become the third clamping bolt for the centercase. The sleeves are cheap only $50 and will take care of this issue for you. We run them on all our race machines and have no issues.

Before i even picked up my 08 the dealer put a different sleeve for the swingarm bolt in. Is this mod anything similar to that?

BTW i love my BCS chain guide. I have not thrown a chain yet!! It use to throw all the time!!

·
Premium Member
132 Posts

Before i even picked up my 08 the dealer put a different sleeve for the swingarm bolt in. Is this mod anything similar to that?

BTW i love my BCS chain guide. I have not thrown a chain yet!! It use to throw all the time!!
Ours is a little differant than the ones that brp uses, Thanks for purchasing the chain guide!! We are hard at work everyday working on getting the products we sell out to the public. There is so many things that we make for our race team that we have not even released. We know that parts are far and few between for this bike so we are going to do or best to get everything we have released for this bike ASAP. I'm glad the chain guide solved your chain issues. Keep in touch with us on anything you may have questions on we may have the answer.

Again Thanks for your business!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts