Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got details on the intake Dasa is making for the ds450?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I talked to them a little about it on the phone. It’s made out of sheet metal and fits a larger diameter filter to it. That stock filter is small I would think this will do wonders.
From what I gathered the intake is available now.

Also if you send them your throttle body they will bore it up and put a bigger butter fly valve in it. That butterfly valve has a stop in that does not allow it to open fully I heard yesterday but I have not been in there yet to see. If you remove it the stop it will help the intake.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just dont see why they would wanna go bigger than 46mm. Thats huge already. I dynoed a 43 and 44mm tb on the ltr and there was no gain. Stock is 42mm. I would think a 46 and up would lose alot of bottom. Im gonna call and chat with Dan

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the intake kit is a air box eliminator kit?

·
Registered
900 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TNT @ Dec 11 2008, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I talked to them a little about it on the phone. It’s made out of sheet metal and fits a larger diameter filter to it. That stock filter is small I would think this will do wonders.
From what I gathered the intake is available now.

Also if you send them your throttle body they will bore it up and put a bigger butter fly valve in it. That butterfly valve has a stop in that does not allow it to open fully I heard yesterday but I have not been in there yet to see. If you remove it the stop it will help the intake.[/b]
I guess I don't understand I thought if you get more fuel and air pressure you increase power over the whole band. Are you saying since it takes more RPM to burn it you loose bottom? Were you using a high compression piston and running race gas? May just depend on your config, lots of variables there. Anyway let us know what you find out. Thx.

·
Registered
900 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (driver311 @ Dec 11 2008, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just dont see why they would wanna go bigger than 46mm. Thats huge already. I dynoed a 43 and 44mm tb on the ltr and there was no gain. Stock is 42mm. I would think a 46 and up would lose alot of bottom. Im gonna call and chat with Dan[/b]
No you still need the airbox to keep your filter clean. It just replaces the rubber intake boot with a metal shroud for better flow, less turbulence, bigger volume, better venturi for increased pressure to the intake manifold.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i don't see where you where you can buy it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't run it without a fuel controller.

·
Registered
425 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TNT @ Dec 11 2008, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I guess I don't understand I thought if you get more fuel and air pressure you increase power over the whole band. Are you saying since it takes more RPM to burn it you loose bottom? Were you using a high compression piston and running race gas? May just depend on your config, lots of variables there. Anyway let us know what you find out. Thx.[/b]

Hey TNT. I think of it like jetting. The bigger the jett, with uniproved air intake and exhaust means that you will have a bit "boggier" bottom end. This is because of, like you said, the higher RPM's that would be needed to burn off the fuel. If you perk up the air intake and the exhaust, then the increase in size in theory would make for a better low end, as well as a better top end. just my .2 cents

·
Registered
900 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (driver311 @ Dec 11 2008, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just dont see why they would wanna go bigger than 46mm. Thats huge already. I dynoed a 43 and 44mm tb on the ltr and there was no gain. Stock is 42mm. I would think a 46 and up would lose alot of bottom. Im gonna call and chat with Dan[/b]
xrider i quoted myself above by misake I meant to quote driver. I don't get the bigger intake making low bottom end stock power unless there was a lot of air pressure in the chamber that was not burnt and it need more rpm and to burn fuel loosing bottom.

Maybe MR HP will dyno this config too and let us know what he gets. (Stock motor & pipe), stock 46 mm TB & intake boot vs DASA metal intake & DASA bored TB(or just try the DASA intake without the TB bore). Lets see what the DASA intake does on a stock motor and if a bigger TB helps?

I'm with driver I'd like to see if metal really helps over that rubber smaller boot. Only thing I can think possible is the rubber would expand and contract dampening flow but sheet metal does the same thing. I also question if more air pressure in effectivly burnt on a stock motor.

Darn wish I had a dyno....lol!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just run a costum peice of aftermarket intake tube, im just runnin that to a K&N now. gona pick up a power cammander next month

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TNT @ Dec 12 2008, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
xrider i quoted myself above by misake I meant to quote driver. I don't get the bigger intake making low bottom end stock power unless there was a lot of air pressure in the chamber that was not burnt and it need more rpm and to burn fuel loosing bottom.

Maybe MR HP will dyno this config too and let us know what he gets. (Stock motor & pipe), stock 46 mm TB & intake boot vs DASA metal intake & DASA bored TB(or just try the DASA intake without the TB bore). Lets see what the DASA intake does on a stock motor and if a bigger TB helps?

I'm with driver I'd like to see if metal really helps over that rubber smaller boot. Only thing I can think possible is the rubber would expand and contract dampening flow but sheet metal does the same thing. I also question if more air pressure in effectivly burnt on a stock motor.

Darn wish I had a dyno....lol![/b]

·
Registered
36 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TNT @ Dec 11 2008, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No you still need the airbox to keep your filter clean. It just replaces the rubber intake boot with a metal shroud for better flow, less turbulence, bigger volume, better venturi for increased pressure to the intake manifold.[/b]

WRONG, I talked to Johnny with DASA today, and he said it eliminates the air box. It is not designed for xc, off road style races, just for mx.

·
Registered
323 Posts
that's not cool. maybe they're making two different ones???

·
Registered
900 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robbie @ Dec 16 2008, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
that's not cool. maybe they're making two different ones???[/b]
Agree, not good...I have yet to see a mx quad without a box but I know they do sell them like Fuel Customs Intakes has one I figured for flat trackers or asphalt drag racin or supermoto ....Heck most of the time our mx tracks are water down and the big 450's the first out to pack er down especially when we run with bikes. That filter would be caked with mud first lap and rob all kinds of power...I didn't gather that on the phone when I talked to him but did not ask specifically....If they do my motor I am going to need a reason why...??? I'd be willing to drill some small holes in my box thats about it, plus think about the filter can only take in so much volume and velocity at a time, all over feeding it will do is create a bunch of unwanted back pressure and turbulence.

Are you sure he meant they eliminate the stock box and replace it with theirs? The K&N is bigger needing a bigger box? Theres no room for a bigger filter in the stock box in the stock plastic so maybe you right unless they bolt it underneath. That brings us back to drivers question what do we really gain from a bigger filter and TB?

Anyway, talked to Protec today and am sending him a resume tomorrow. He said he'd put me together a motor based on our goals/needs. I'll let you all know what they come up with. Sounds cheaper than DASA and he said they are getting mid fifty HP. Pro-tec who I never heard of since they we are into watersports and mx back and forth is now doing work for the motoworks team Lawson and a couple of either Worc's or IPT quadX series pro's and developing fast DS450's mx in 08 and 09. They had a pro spank everyone recently on a DS 6 hour iron manned it. Lets see if Protec agrees with the bigger K$N no box and bigger TB?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes he meant eliminate the box, cause I told him I do the WORCS series, and he said it would be pointless to take the box off. However, Team Motoworks did some testing a couple of months ago, and if you build a motor you do need to drill some 1/2" holes in the box. They are losing power from dyno testing to racing, just cause the seat is on. If you have a stock motor like I do, it would be pointless to drill the holes.

·
Registered
900 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mr. big time @ Dec 17 2008, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes he meant eliminate the box, cause I told him I do the WORCS series, and he said it would be pointless to take the box off. However, Team Motoworks did some testing a couple of months ago, and if you build a motor you do need to drill some 1/2" holes in the box. They are losing power from dyno testing to racing, just cause the seat is on. If you have a stock motor like I do, it would be pointless to drill the holes.[/b]
Ok, thanks this is all go info for questions to ask my engine builder. I don't know much about can-am yet so I appreciate the help. Sent a resume to Rage too. It will be interesting to see what mods they all (Rage, Pro-Tec, DASA, ) want to do that are in common.

I heard Worc's is a good series and growing to a "national"...I'm glad the west coster are able to have a good series out there. The ATVPG seems to just want a east cost series. Now with Baker, Miller, think I seen Dunk are going west. If Worc's would go more east I think they would pick up a lot of midwest racers like us that are tired of supporting ATVPG that runs the same tracks year after year. One day maybe they will all merge, do regionals/nationals like the bikes. Can am is really stepping up and doing alot for the sport, one of the reasons I just bought one.

Sorry about the rant... :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, the WORCS is the 3rd largest atv race series in the nation, the other two being back east. I am almost 100% sure that worcs will just stay on the west. As for the can-am stepping up to the plate, yes they sure have, and that is the same reason why I bought one.

You should move out to cali, thats not where I am from, but that in the middle of all the WORCS. Or move back east.

·
Registered
900 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mr. big time @ Dec 17 2008, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, the WORCS is the 3rd largest atv race series in the nation, the other two being back east. I am almost 100% sure that worcs will just stay on the west. As for the can-am stepping up to the plate, yes they sure have, and that is the same reason why I bought one.

You should move out to cali, thats not where I am from, but that in the middle of all the WORCS. Or move back east.[/b]
lol.....I'm 49, I grew up on the beach of Cali, El-Segundo, .... South Bay close to Redondo, Hermosa beach, etc....surfing big waves as a pro from the Bay area to the tip of baja mexico...also the first generation of skateboarders to ride a swimming pools vertically in the 70's in Cali. My boy followed my foot steps in extreme sports but on land, quads. Lot more expensive than a surf and skate board. :lol:

Think you right for Worc's, theres nothing between the midwest and west coast really....East has a dense population.

Snow on the ground here and single digit temps....you had to mention home Cali didn't ya....Those were the days! Hot chicks on the beach, good surf, plenty of fun in the sun......Now I'm stuck in the Land of Oz, KS freezing my arse off......lol! Only hope being Dorthy will show up and click her heels......lol!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts