Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any tips on how to get a better start with this thing. I know the DS is known for crappy starting, as evidenced by McGill/Bithell after the past few seasons of GNCC.

I've basically done 2 races now and it has been slow to start both times.

Any tricks to finding TDC, so that it starts easier?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I should also add that holding the throttle wide open when cranking will cut fuel and allow you to clear a flooded engine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you line up really early...make sure the engine is warm/started near the start...when cold, they seem to take longer to turn over.
Other basic stuff (you probably already did)...
Have a good battery, fresh gas, good spark-plug, etc.

-Justin

·
Registered
69 Posts
The likelihood of our ds's getting a holeshot is slim to none. I race the Iowa series, and a good warm up, and turning your key off and on up until the start has proven to be the best I can do (without tuning) I just remind myself there's another 2 hours left to race lol.

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
24 volt start! i put it on 2 races ago it helps tons! just make sure you have two good batteries because if the second one drains down you had better plan on being able to take it out of the series during the race "no fun i had to do it" but with two good new batteries it worked great took my first holeshot with it

·
Registered
811 Posts
maybe look around for a battery with more cca(cold cranking amps). A second battery will wear the starter out faster and put unwanted load on the electronics. But as long as it works then go for it.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
we switched to a cv4 lithium on our kfx450 and it is supost to have like double the cranking amps. It doesn't start or crank over any faster.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The likelihood of our ds's getting a holeshot is slim to none. I race the Iowa series, and a good warm up, and turning your key off and on up until the start has proven to be the best I can do (without tuning) I just remind myself there's another 2 hours left to race lol.
Tried this trick this past weekend and woohoo! I got a hole shot!
Letting the pump cycle a few times must cause a build up of extra fuel helping it fire quicker. Whatever the reason it sure seemed to work for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts