Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a 2 day 200 mi enduro race next month. Very long, really fast hauls. Sort of a Desert Run. I am looking to change my sprocket relations to have less RPMS on more top end. What do you guys think I should get? What other things should I do to my DS450x?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
not sure about gearing...just thought it was cool that you were running in a desert race. been thinking about doing that lately, but not sure how long the DS gas tank will last...i've never really checked to see how far she'll go WOT.

·
Registered
571 Posts
the longest ride i've been on was 62 miles and i still had gas in the tank, that was a desert ride at about 40 average mph

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
14/39 will give u top end and less acceleration. good for cruising at higher speeds

·
Registered
253 Posts
15/40!!!!!! TRY IT! TRY IT!! TRY IT!!!

the top speed is often something that bothers me with the DS, it doesn't have the low end torque I'd like for crawling over things (or popping over a log/rock/ big thing in the way) once you've put really tall gears on it... but I suppose once you got used to it and used momentum lol... everything would be fine!

I've been thinking about throwing some holeshot HD 22's in the rear along with a 14/39 like HComras has... that'd be pretty nice for the desert.

Where are you thinking about racing anyway??

·
Registered
62 Posts
I run 14/38 and 21 inch rears for Desert races in Aus (see Tattersall's Finke Desert Race) which gives me a top speed around 130km/h. Depending on whether its sandy or rocky you may need some motor work to handle the gearing and bigger tyres.

For Finke each leg is 228km with 3 fuel stops although 2 would be possible. Again it will depend on how much sand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts