Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much said on the 2009 DS 450 MX. Any one that has one and wants to share their thoughts, or anyone that has raced there DS 450 let us know how you like it, what you would change, and how ya did!

·
Registered
224 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xrider77 @ Jan 6 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not much said on the 2009 DS 450 MX. Any one that has one and wants to share their thoughts, or anyone that has raced there DS 450 let us know how you like it, what you would change, and how ya did![/b]
ive never seen an 09 yet in person i love the new head lights and that it comes with 18s..... i raced my 08 bone stock and got the holeshot on modded yfz,suzukis,and hondas but it didnt take long for alotta the guys to get by me..(it was my first motocross race) all i can say is i bought a pipe the next day lol and im working on widening it out moneys kinda tight...especially driving a truck geting 8-9 mpg! i wish this quad had more low end power stock! o ya i took 6th outa 8 guys total... it was alot harder than i thought lol and i realized how outa shape i was!

·
Registered
12 Posts
After finally getting all the parts to widen the DS, which took months in most cases I went racing twice. First race was a total bottom end track and without different sprockets I was screwed against modded honda's and LTR's, etc. Did so bad I considered it a practice. The second race was totally different. Raced a 25+ class and won the overall against modded and hybrid built quads. Other class was an A Class. At the starting line I totally felt out of place with a stock motor. The Can Am's reliability saved me in that class because second moto the full built machines were dropping like fly's (7th out of 26 enties). Big change is getting more bottom end, or learning how to ride it like a 2 stroke (revving it out), which is scary at first because the DS revs for ever.
Remember the DS is very high maintenance.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on guys! Lets keep them all coming!

I've spent alot of time going over the 09 MX, but no time riding one hahaha. I've hear alot about the bottom ends being a little soft, but with the right touches i'm sure it can be woken up a bit. VT you say they require alot of maintenance? I'm guessing you mean more then other 450's? I've got an opportunity to race my suzuk again, or a DS, and wanna know the low down on the DS. Everything looks great on paper, but I have no riding experience with them!

Thats awesome Joey. Pullin the Holeshot in your first race! once ya get it widened you'll be tearing it up! I thought I was gettin bad gas mileage? how big is the hole in your gas tank lol.

Keep the info coming guys!

·
Registered
224 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xrider77 @ Jan 8 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Right on guys! Lets keep them all coming!

I've spent alot of time going over the 09 MX, but no time riding one hahaha. I've hear alot about the bottom ends being a little soft, but with the right touches i'm sure it can be woken up a bit. VT you say they require alot of maintenance? I'm guessing you mean more then other 450's? I've got an opportunity to race my suzuk again, or a DS, and wanna know the low down on the DS. Everything looks great on paper, but I have no riding experience with them!

Thats awesome Joey. Pullin the Holeshot in your first race! once ya get it widened you'll be tearing it up! I thought I was gettin bad gas mileage? how big is the hole in your gas tank lol.

Keep the info coming guys![/b]
ya it was awesome i was very excited even tough i lost bad in the end lol it was still fun 4 me though.. ya all i gotta do is put the lonestar axle on n its finnished!

no hole lol i drive a f-250 super duty thats lifted and that has 35 inch mud terrains... goin to 38s though in the spring lol there is two bad things #1 is gas milage lol #2 is i cant find a carwash anywhere thats big enough lol i found out one thing after i bought this truck...girls LOVE big trucks! LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Xrider: If you want a light quad for mx and so far very reliable, but harder to find aftermarket for right know, then you will love the ds.
Yes it has a few bad parts clutch assembly, but other than that away you go. One thing you must think about is what will be cheaper for you this year, that is a great decisions maker.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vtmxer @ Jan 10 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Xrider: If you want a light quad for mx and so far very reliable, but harder to find aftermarket for right know, then you will love the ds.
Yes it has a few bad parts clutch assembly, but other than that away you go. One thing you must think about is what will be cheaper for you this year, that is a great decisions maker.[/b]
Thanks Vt. Light is always good. I've spent the last 3 years with suzuki and thats been awesome. Last year had a contract, and the same deal for this year apply's if I want to renew, however the KTM and the DS look more attractive then ever. The 3 makes all have their strengths and weaknesses. As far as prices go, the deals that I have on the table, pretty much cancel each other out as far as machine goes. However, for parts that need to be bought to make it as competetive as I'd like, this is what i've found.

KTM 450SX
Everything I've read says the engine clutch and tranny are great. Just needs tinkering with jetting to make in unbelievably strong, and similar to that of LTR450 with port, polish, intake, and pipes. Thats one negative of KTM JETTING! KTMs with full tank of gas weigh under 380 lbs, all fluids in. That is much lighter than my Race LTR.
However. Even though magazines have bragged about the WP shocks, they are srung way to stiff. A suspension revalve is definately needed for the KTM. I am 170-175 with all my gear on. the SX suspension apparently is sprung for a 280 pound rider (I said 280)!! Other than that, that is all the KTM needs really.

DS450MX
Dry weight 345. With fluids i dont know. All manufacturers measure their dry weight differently. Can am claims to be lightest, but MX version has to weigh more since it has Chromoly A-arms, Nerfs, and is wider. Base DS is 345.

Everything I have heard about MX's suspesion is that it is dialed. Turns awesome, good action, and doesnt need touching for my weight... maybe just a few clicks hear and there to make it comfortable with me. This alone saves $$$ and hassle!

Engine could use more bottom end.... Pipe, and programmer should help, those cast $0 for me... love sponsors. I would probably take it a little further with Port and Polish to give even more power. This should make it similar to that of an LTR or KTM.

DS weighs a ton less than LTR. No need for nerfs installation which I despise. DS does need tether, but no big deal. Clutch could use some work although I have heard that problem was fixed for 09. All of this equals less time, money and hassle to get going compared to LTR, plus its something new! Questions of reliability??? I dont like DNF's

LTR 450
Great bike! Needs everything for racing. bonus is, 3 years of racing it and I have a parts pile the size of everest. Nerfs, pipe, programmer, Tether, port and polish, tires, suspension work and a diet! That makes it comparable to DS and KTM. its fuel injected... +1 over KTM.

Alot more work to get them setup, but... I'm comfortable on it and no they are reliable. Even cutting weight with expensive fox floats, A-arms, pipes, and other little tricks, it still is a pig compared to others. Ive won many races on this quad, but I like new things and would love to bring any knowlege learned on the DS to this site, doesnt seem like theirs many that race it

This is my 0.2 on the decision lol. I will just have to see who wants me the most I guess. Thanks everyone for your input, and keep the ball rollin on the Info!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (joeyds450x @ Jan 9 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ya it was awesome i was very excited even tough i lost bad in the end lol it was still fun 4 me though.. ya all i gotta do is put the lonestar axle on n its finnished!

no hole lol i drive a f-250 super duty thats lifted and that has 35 inch mud terrains... goin to 38s though in the spring lol there is two bad things #1 is gas milage lol #2 is i cant find a carwash anywhere thats big enough lol i found out one thing after i bought this truck...girls LOVE big trucks! LOL[/b]
Lol. Who needs a whole when your driving a cottage lol. Thats awesome man. You should post a pic of that rig with your quad! you might need an airplane to take an aerial photo though lol. I got hookup to some fire trucks that can help ya withg the washing problem, although women usually like big dirty trucks even better than big clean trucks! If your ever North of the border around Toronto with your quad come tear it up at my place. WE have quite the compound here

·
Registered
224 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xrider77 @ Jan 10 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lol. Who needs a whole when your driving a cottage lol. Thats awesome man. You should post a pic of that rig with your quad! you might need an airplane to take an aerial photo though lol. I got hookup to some fire trucks that can help ya withg the washing problem, although women usually like big dirty trucks even better than big clean trucks! If your ever North of the border around Toronto with your quad come tear it up at my place. WE have quite the compound here[/b]
i dnt have any pics of them together lol i dnt have my truck here where i live. its at my dads house since i lost my liscence. so he drives it since his desiel starts rly hard or i would take one of them together
that sounds like fun but i dnt kno it ill make it up that way netime soon lol but if i get a chance i will lol

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That thing is a monster man! Sweet set up! would look wikid with the DS in the back. . . Ya probably need custome ramps to get it up that hi into your box lol. Good thing its fuel injected too so ya don't have to re jet for the altitude difference when its sitting in the back of your truck. WE were planning a trip to the warmer parts of the states to practice for the spring, dunno where we are going though. Just picked up a snocross sled so i better focus on that a little bit

Reactions: Bwarren

·
Registered
224 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xrider77 @ Jan 16 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That thing is a monster man! Sweet set up! would look wikid with the DS in the back. . . Ya probably need custome ramps to get it up that hi into your box lol. Good thing its fuel injected too so ya don't have to re jet for the altitude difference when its sitting in the back of your truck. WE were planning a trip to the warmer parts of the states to practice for the spring, dunno where we are going though. Just picked up a snocross sled so i better focus on that a little bit[/b]
ya it is a bit dangerous to get it up there with the ramps i got lol...ill put a different pic of them together tomorrow... first ice race of the year for me!

·
Registered
6 Posts
WooHoo :D Picked up my new 2009 DS450 MX on Monday! $9500 OTD, darn that hurt. Took it to my property and Wow what a difference from my DS650 Baja! This thing rides like it's on rails. No more setting up for a high speed turn, just do it! This thing handles awsome. Whats all this about weak bottom end? Mined you I'm not fully punching it yet, but it just keeps on pulling. Ok, the front A-arms are a mat black finish, not silver like most of the pictures, and the front shock springs are diff from most pictures, not dual rate, they have a small spring above the main spring just to keep the main from coming loose when you jump ro fully extend the front end. The clutch let out a "Squeel" several times when I first started out on several occations (Oct 2008 build date), right in front of the dealer too. It does stop as soon as you get riding. Still has the "Break-in" oil in it. Found a missing bolt holding the front disk brake cover in place (replaced it) and a black rivet that hold the left front fender on was missing the back side washer so it wasn't holding the fender on (replaced it). Ordered ITP sand star 21-7-10 fronts and 20-11-10 rears both on Black ITP GP wheels (same as the stock fronts) and a 13 tooth front sprocket for our trip to GLAMIS, CA in two weeks. Can't wait, 6 days of incredible dune riding. I'll keep ya posted. Any questions?

2009 DS450 X MX
2002 DS650 Baja (for sale)
1985 ATC250R (for sale)
1983 ATC70
2006 Polaris Preditor 90
2006 CRF450R

·
Registered
12 Posts
i raced a stock ds450 last year i rode it for 6 months and i thooght it was really good, way better than my dads trx450r. Then i put a-arms and shockys and axle on it and it was way better to ride, then 2months later i got a pipe for it and then it was really fast for me. I get the new mx ds450 in 2 week. Are the motors different in the new mx ds450 or the same as last years

·
Registered
79 Posts
i love the can am this is my first season on it and i'm doin great other than a miner set bacj last weekend when i got taken out but its pretty much fixed now and i got a big race this weekend so we will see how it goes so far i'm runnin 6th in points (was 3rd till the wreck) i race an 08 but its got all the 09 mx parts and got a motoworks sr4 and a new race ecm, so it just hauls ass lol. i'll let ya'll know how i make out this weekend, o xrider77 i'd race the ds over the suzuki anyday i've had the chance to compair highly modded suzukis, ktm, yamaha's, honda's, and kawi's, and i would never race anything but the can am.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i raced a stock ds450 last year i rode it for 6 months and i thooght it was really good, way better than my dads trx450r. Then i put a-arms and shockys and axle on it and it was way better to ride, then 2months later i got a pipe for it and then it was really fast for me. I get the new mx ds450 in 2 week. Are the motors different in the new mx ds450 or the same as last years
the mx motor is pretty much the same as last years but the clutch has been changed for 09 and the fly wheel and motor mount bolt have been changed other than that and the head lights its pretty much the same. i've had the chance to ride the 09 mx's but i still like my 08 better lol maybe its becasue its modded a bit more lol, but i do like the 09's feel no different form my 08

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i love the can am this is my first season on it and i'm doin great other than a miner set bacj last weekend when i got taken out but its pretty much fixed now and i got a big race this weekend so we will see how it goes so far i'm runnin 6th in points (was 3rd till the wreck) i race an 08 but its got all the 09 mx parts and got a motoworks sr4 and a new race ecm, so it just hauls ass lol. i'll let ya'll know how i make out this weekend, o xrider77 i'd race the ds over the suzuki anyday i've had the chance to compair highly modded suzukis, ktm, yamaha's, honda's, and kawi's, and i would never race anything but the can am.
haha that's kinda funny. We have the same set up, and have the same opinion about it. I love mine too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hahahaha ya man can am aint kidding when they say "the ride says it all" eh

·
Registered
79 Posts
i love this bike!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts