Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a dumb question because this is supposed to be a forum for DS450 owners but here it goes...

Which machine is better for my money the DS450 X mx or the new Yamaha YFZ450R?

I recently sold my YFZ450 and was thinking of getting the new yamaha 450 but the DS450 Xmx really caught my attention, I have reaserached a lot on the internet and I think it is a great machine but I wanted to hear from the owners.

Have you had the chance to go against a Yamaha YFZ450R?
How did it go?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
o boy...well the new yfz is pretty sick. i havent raced or ridden one but they look cool.

all my knowledge about the ds is from last year as thats the one i bought. so last year the ds was the lightest, had the most power and blah blah blah, im sure you read the ad. with a couple free mods you can do yourself the thing is unbeatable in stock form. with a slip-on and pipe it rips, and i mean RIPS! the suspension is damn good for stock too, and the fully adjustable settings are oh-so nice:)

oh and for the money their practically giving away 08s and you can find killer deals on 09s.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
well, i finally rode my can am today, with all the 09 shocks and a-arms, it is absolutely amazing. There is no other stock machine that could beat this for the price. Can Am all the way.

·
Registered
459 Posts
What kind of ridin do you do? Before I installed my slipon I bet a piped yfzr at the drags. I'm not likin the cast aluminum frame on the yfzr.

·
Registered
224 Posts
im gna find out saturday how good my ds450x will keep up with my buddys new yfz450r, i honestly think my ds will walk all over it but well see i guess....

·
Registered
323 Posts
i dragged a new yfz w/ hmf exhaust, trinity intake, tuned w/ a pc5 and i tied it once and pulled it by a quad another.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of ridin do you do? Before I installed my slipon I bet a piped yfzr at the drags. I'm not likin the cast aluminum frame on the yfzr.
I go to the sand dunes and make high jumps, sometimes I drag but not very often, I also go to the woods.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i'd get an 09 ds or an ltr. i can't wait til all the 2010s come out. i'm getting a new bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i've actually have gotten to ride both!!! the 450r is one amazing machine! it has alot of lower end power. he always beats me in a drag cause he is more experienced and i have a 08 450x... i think the ds sits a lot more comfortable then the yfz IMO... But i think it all comes down to what you prefer more i guess... i'm happy i got my ds for the price compared to what he payed..

·
Registered
323 Posts
i finally rode the 09 yfz and i think i like it better than i like my ds. it's a nice ride.

·
Registered
224 Posts
haha my buddy didnt get the new yfz! hes a douche bag all he did was brag about getting one that all he had to do was pick it up and turns out he never set nething up! he thought he could walk in there and just say he wanted it and sign papers and leave with it! LOL theres just a little more than that when it comes to buying a new quad..

·
Registered
323 Posts
lol, i still love my ds. the yfz just has power where i like to have power. the ds is weird. i like it a lot more now that i know how to ride it. you can just jump on the yfz and tear it up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ds all the way i just rapped up my first race of the season against some pretty heavy competition and the ds greatly surpassed my expectations in every area i was looking into. and i didn't do to bad in the race either. next weekend i'm hopeing to get top 3

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I also raced a yfz r in production class, its basically a stock class, i believe he got 3rd, me and 1 other can am beat him, i had about a 40 second lead on him.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yeah i raced one on my mx bike and beat the guy. the new yfz is pretty dang stout though!!! An 05 yfz won, suzki 2nd, me 3rd, my buddy on his mx kfx 4th, the new 450r 5th, and then 2 hondas in quad c. It was a arena cross race bout 2 months ago. The 05 and ltr fought for 1st, me and my buddy for 3rd with the new 450r on us the hole time. the guy had wheels tires safty stuff a pipe and such but stock arms and suspension. I pulled the holeshot though!!:banana: what happen with me and the front......simple, Im a wuss. the 05 and ltr hit the 70ft double after the 2nd turn, none of the rest of us did.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm sure when you cut the pink wire it will be a lot closer if not faster and the ds450xmx comes with a lot more stuff.. The yfzr is only 48.5 inchs wide with Adjustable shocks and The ds is 50 inchs and has Adjustable shocks and a arms, adjustable axle, nerf bars, heel guards, itp tires, itp beadlock and gp wheels way more bang for your buck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm sure when you cut the pink wire it will be a lot closer if not faster and the ds450xmx comes with a lot more stuff.. The yfzr is only 48.5 inchs wide with Adjustable shocks and The ds is 50 inchs and has Adjustable shocks and a arms, adjustable axle, nerf bars, heel guards, itp tires, itp beadlock and gp wheels way more bang for your buck
what's the pink wire for?
or why does is improves the performance if you cut it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
what's the pink wire for?
or why does is improves the performance if you cut it?
the pink wire is located under the front plastics in the wiring harness its pulled out and wrapped in blue tape soyou cant miss it. when you cut it it unlocks a factory race map in the ECU. if you decide to cut the wire you would also need to remove the baffle from you exhaust and take the airbox lid off. this wakens it up a little bit from stock form. lets it breathe better and it gets a little more fuel. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts