Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so when i had the pink wire cut it ran great with the slip on and opened box, but i finally got my efi programmer and put it on. i sautered the pink wire back together, hooked it all up and it went ok. first off i noticed my bick was a bitch to start. then after i got over the fact that its electric and id rather be punching a button for 5 minutes than kicking it, i noticed that it now has this very distinctive 2 stroke feel to it. like a carb that needs cleaning. the power is NOT consistent with the throttle im giving it... i can run it through say first and second ok, but when i get to third and it starts opening up, it kinda stutters at low powerband, just beneath the middle of the throttle, then BLAM it kicks my ass and opens up. i keep thinking of my old 250r. so i started riding it like my old bike, and it seems to respond alot better to super aggressive riding/throttle than say the rather passive trail-riding ive been giving it. i attempted to screw with the settings on the programmer, but it seemed to worsen the situation, so i set it back to the original settings.

now im not neccessarily dissapointed with the new characteristics of the bike, as im much more comfortable riding hard, but it was just a little...unexpected?

just wondering if anyone else has a programmer and has faced this scenario. would hate to need a new injector or something just a week before my big trip. any suggestions?:1zhelp:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
hmm, The dealer i bought my can-am from told me i had to bring the quad back to them, and they had to re-program it or something for the motoworks fmi. Maye your supposed to bring it to the dealer to have them re-program it? Ill let you know how mine is whe ni get it back from them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
get a dyno tune.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
get a dyno tune.

that could also be it, it might be just way out of tune. I was talking to my dealership today, and he said he had to flash my computer system when i install it or something. I will get more info when I talk to him next.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ugh. thanks. wish motoworks had said something like that in the directions. maybe i need to cut the pink wire again to change the mapping? anyone know if these companys are assuming the pink wire is cut? id hate to just "try it" and find out the hard way that im wrong.

i called my dealer (north hollywood honda) and the assholes over there pretty much laughed at me when i asked them about them reflashing the stock computer for aftermarket accessories. said i had to go to a specialty shop. anyone know/recommend a mod shop in socal?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wait...im lost...so racer dad are you saying i need a electronic computer module also? or does the bike already have one? and whats a stage 1 kit? sorry for sounding uneducated...but, well i guess i kinda am in the matter hahaha.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The stage 1 kit is the kit Cam am is sending to supported rider it is Motoworks slip on RS4, race ECM that replaces stock ECM and has to be setup by Cam AM dealer, 4 bearing rear carrier, misc. frame up grades.
hcomras you do not need a new ECM but I would see if U can get a dealer to up date your to 2009 setting if you have a Motoworks Controler you may want to adjust it read the manual sound not to bad

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh ok...yea the dealer said im not eligible for any other updates besides the clutch, flywheel nut and motor mount...i guess ill just have to play with the programmer a little more. thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey i was just thinking...i havent had my flywheel recall done yet, and obviously that could be part of my starting problem...when they (the flywheel bolt) go out, do the quads just fail to start all together or does it just take a little longer?

·
Registered
323 Posts
there is a guy on the atvriders forum that let his flywheel go out.. might ask him.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ugh. thanks. wish motoworks had said something like that in the directions. maybe i need to cut the pink wire again to change the mapping? anyone know if these companys are assuming the pink wire is cut? id hate to just "try it" and find out the hard way that im wrong.

i called my dealer (north hollywood honda) and the assholes over there pretty much laughed at me when i asked them about them reflashing the stock computer for aftermarket accessories. said i had to go to a specialty shop. anyone know/recommend a mod shop in socal?
Did your Motoworks FMI controller come with a settings list? My HMF EFI controller came with a little list that told me what the settings should be on the EFI controller from the factory. It was 0/2.5/4 if the pink wire was cut and 3/4/6 without the pink wire cut. and they have a little tutorial on there site on how to program it or check the factory settings very helpful.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
na it didnt come with any list, just directions. but it said that with the lid open and the sr4 slip-on that the factory programming was the best option, and since its fuel injected and not carborated i was thinking i wouldnt have to really change any settings for my elevation or humidity or anything. however when i was doing all my testing it was on the street and i think the fact that i was hooking up too well may have had something to do with it cuz on my last ride the factory settings worked AMAZING...

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeah when i got my EFI controller it said that the factory settings were a starting point. and that i might have to tune it a little depending on my conditions and mods.
HMF is really helpful they have a forum where you can ask the guys that work there questions that pretain to there equipment. help me out alot.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey racer dad 37 , what does that can am kit come with i got accepted into the program i just wanna know what it all come's with before my dealer puts it all on for me, thanks eh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts