Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just got back from riding and when I was loading my ds on the trailer I noticed my case was cracked. The crack is next to the front sprocket and it was leaking oil. I got the rear engine mount recall done earlier in the year. Hopefully my extended warranty cover this repair. Do you guys think they'll replace the cases or just replace the whole engine. I also got the updated shift pawls but I still get false nuetrals. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
yeah, i noticed the same thing while at unadillia for the MX national. I talked to can-am, they said its not normal, but mine was in the same place. It will crack down, and across the bottom all the way over to the case gasket. Mine was leaking really bad, so we JB wealded it every moto just to keep it together. Mine got fixed fairly quick, My dealer still dosen't know if they will warrentey it. I got it done anyways becasue it needed to be done. Good luck with it though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pic

Heres a pic i took this morning. I don't ride mx, I mostly trail ride and some drag racing. cracked case 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
That is exactly where mine cracked, just watch it, make sure it doesn't grow. When it does, it will go down to the bottom, and along the bottom of the case until it hits the center gasket. It will start to leak oil if its bad. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
now I am really starting to wonder if I even moved up by selling my cannondale and getting an 08 X. It seems that all the same bugs cannondale had are in these. I hope the cranks don't start failing, that will be the end.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
na this is way better than the cannnondale, altho those were pretty sick. the 08s just had bugs, maybe the 09 wouldve been a better upgrade

·
Registered
425 Posts
That sucks guys. Don't get thrown off commander. All quads break. You will never ever own a vehicle where nothing goes wrong with it. Cases are pretty cheap to replace too so not too big of a deal. Grass is always greener on the other side.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
That sucks guys. Don't get thrown off commander. All quads break. You will never ever own a vehicle where nothing goes wrong with it. Cases are pretty cheap to replace too so not too big of a deal. Grass is always greener on the other side.

For sure, all quads have their problems. Can-am should come out for a fix for it eventually.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I should have known not to go with a quad that had a name starting with Can and the chain on the wrong side. just kidding. Ya, I know no quads are perfect, although I loved the cannondale I just don't want to go through constantly updating issues, but that is to be expected with a first model year quad right?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ya. First model years are always problematic. Look at the YFZ. Stators, Cranks going out... Raptors.. Taranny's, Carbs shooting off... They all have there bugs. The 09's were improved immensely and I'm sure the 2010's have some durability updates as well.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys my dealer called me today my quad should be done this week. I'm going to get the head ported this month and get a cam.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just discovered cracked case here too! Not leaking yet.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to get the head ported this month and get a cam.

whos porting the head and what cam you going with?

Is was going to have dasa port the head and get a second oem exhaust cam. When I got the estimate it was alittle more money than I thought. They want to cnc the head and fill in the intake port with expoxy and do a 5 angle valve job. I'm going to wait alittle longer to get this done.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What was the fix for this. I just looked at mine today and looks like it might be cracked. It isn't leaking yet. Has anyone fixed a case by getting it tigged up?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Over $700.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So did everyone with a cracked case just buy new cases or what was the fix?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts