Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy's how noisy are your engines?

Mine sounds like a diesel at -40 degrees!

Is it the valve train that is so loud?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mine is loud too, but it still runs good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Put a pipe on it and you cant hear it as much. They are louder than most quad motors. I guess it that rotax motor

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just started mine the other day for the first time and was hoping that is how they were suppossed to sound. Remindes me of my cannondale, it always sounded like you put rocks in the oil and it was about to throw a rod.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Your motor shouldn't be that noisy if it is i would get it checked out. They do make noise but should not sound like a diesel at -40 degrees. If your motor is louder than normal I would check your oil level be sure that all the plugs are tight, Including the one on the back of the timing chain tensioner. These motors do not have a mechanical tensioner thay have a tensioner that works off your oil pressure. If you have a slight leak anywhere or even lower oil pressure your chain will cause the motor to be more noisy.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
yea but i know what her means...theyre alot louder "mechanically" than other quads...just the thump of the motor is loud...sounds alot like my old ducati actually...which was waaay louder than my gsxr, but that was just the way the motor sounded. id not worry about it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i thought floating the valves ment you rev'ed the motor so high that the valve springs can move the valves quick enough...or something along those lines. so you would have to remove your rev limiter before you could "float the valves"

·
Registered
89 Posts
Floating a vavle will give a loud ticking noise. they do it some times when you start them cold. BUt ya it does sound a lot like the cannondales.

·
Registered
454 Posts
What happens to the tensioner to make them loud? My engine started blowing oil out the breather vent when hot and it makes a loud ticking sound when hot... When the engine is cool it sounds great...

Power wise the engine is running extremely strong, its only after a moto, that the oil starts coming out the vent and the engine starts to make a loud ticking sound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been on LTR's since 2006. When I started my new xmx I looked straight at the tech like, "supposed to be that noisy". He said its the first thing everyone says switching to a two plug rotax. No doubt dude it's so different sounding. Which is cool but yes lots of rattling around in there when started. especially cold. Superbike sounding quad! ha ha people seem to think it sounds pretty cool though wherever I take it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts