Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just picked up my 2009 DS450x MX tonight, and cant wait to go riding.
I was just curious about the engine oil. Can Am's manual says ONLY run their XP-S 5W 40 synthetic oil. Is it a MUST to run their brand of oil? Or can you run another brand? I've only had a 2 stroke dirt bike before this so I'm not too familiar with 4 stroke quads yet. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks allot

·
Registered
323 Posts
that's all i've used. it's not a must though.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
ive never even found that oil hahaha. dealer said they have to order it. i just got either the honda oil or the sea doo oil. same shit. the sea doo oil is also for all the other brp quads like the ds650

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thats a heck of a first quad. Yep I run XPS in my quad and Sea-Doo. I run Maxima in my other quad though. Probably switch the DS over to it too soon. My dealer has XPS like 14 bucks a quart, kinda pricey. Nope not nessassary to run BRP stuff. Just make sure whatever you get is actuall quad/bike oil not car oil, 5-40w, and full synthetic.

·
Registered
79 Posts
run he xps synthetic blend oil i like the way it works, but u can run whatever u want as long as its the proper oil (like for quads lol)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am running the XPS stuff right now. But I'm probably going to switch because my local dealer charges over $20 for a quart :shocked1:. I'm thinking about switching over to synthetic rotella. Ran it in my last quad with good results.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to pick up some oil pretty soon. I've only ridden a bit so far but it's a blast. Can't wait to ride it some more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone,

I dont really want to beat a dead horse with this topic, but since it relates to my origional question I thought I'd just ask in here instead of a new thread.

It's time for my first oil change. I've been told not to run synthetic for the first couple oil changes, just use a non synthetic so the rings have more time to set. I've been EVERYWHERE looking for a regular 5W 40 oil. Everywhere I go theres plenty of 10W 40 but no 5w. Even in synthetic oils same thing.

I would imagine 10W 40 would be ok, but I'm worried about damaging the quad, its my baby, dont wanna hurt it! I've been getting mixed comments from everyone.

I just wanted the opinions of actual DS450 owners and not people who think they know!

Thanks,

·
Registered
306 Posts
Some machines you can run about anything anymore these new ones get pretty picky.

It will be hard to find a 5 40w in non synthetic it takes many additives to make the oil that viscosity. There are a few place that make break in in oil that help protect the motor yet helps seat the rings etc... I like it because rings & cylinders are much harder to get to seat.

I would also pay attention to clutch feel some heavier weights may cause the clutch to drag some may help with that annoying clutch noise

I am trying 0w-40w atv/ motorcycle amsoil

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im using some castrol 10W-40 non synthetic right now and it seems alright. I'm gonna switch to amsoil 10w-40 synthetic in a couple oil changes I think.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my powerstroke has 230,000 miles on it all orignal and only used rotella so i got a gallon of rotella synthic for my quad and its sounds and runs fine, is not going to hurt anything.:fingersx:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts