Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. Was reading the Manual and the DS450 Calls for the XPS Fully Synthetic 5 W 40 stuff that ya get at your dealership. Problem is that the XPS bottles don't say 5W 40 or any other viscosity rating!

Was wondering what other MX and woods racers have been running...

Synthetic or Semi-Synthetic?
weight/ Viscosity of oil?
Brand of oil?

I have always run BEL RAY ATV racing semi-synthetic 10W 40 in all my LTR450's, but was wondering what you all found to be the best!
Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Switched over to rotella in mine. Ran it in my old quad and all my brothers run it also. Seems to run good. I change the oil after every race anyways.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on. What thickness you runnin? Sketched out about why it calls for 5w 40

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine blew up i ran amsoil 40w you need that 5w in there

My dealer wouldnt order the rotax oil due to the fact that i had the only ds450 he sold and that he couldnt just order a couple quarts he needed to buy a case. we ran amsoil syn. 40w and after 14 months the rod bearing went out. I live in MN its cold in the winter i think you need the 5w oil in there when its cold and rotax even makes a special winter oil. I have the extended engine war. but after this it would be retarded to use anything but the rotax oil.

·
Registered
323 Posts
you can order the brp oil a couple of different sites. i think driver rides his ds as hard as anyone and he doesn't run brp oil. i don't think it's a must.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your posts guys! Was thinking just to switch back to what I always ran in my suzuki's. Bel Ray ATV racing semi synthetc 10w 40

·
Registered
295 Posts
You do not need to run BRP oil, I use Mobil 1 synthetic 10w40 Motorcycle oil and the quad is fine, there is no better oil than Mobil Synthetics wether it be for a car or bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run Belray 20 -50 we seem to get better life out of gearboxes etc
especially on the long enduros

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your reply's guys. I feel alot better about running the 10 40 belray stuff that I'm used to too... I just think that 5w40 is to "thin" Appreciate the input!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts