Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Boys

I am racing in the UK and am having a few problems with the bike
the dealer is 1st class anything i av had a peoblem with is sorted.
Example

Clutch case gaskets on both bikes Crankcase gasketson both bikes

But the latest problem is i an slecting false netural between 2nd and 3rd
gears. Just been told i am not banging it in hard enough.

This dosent seem right

Has any one else had this problem

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
o god yea. its terrible i talk so much trash to my buddies about how my bike will destroy them then we line up i take it off the line and hit the false spot and im in the dust...it sucks...ive gone through 2 clutch updates and it seems a little better. i notice it alot if i get the bike waaay up in the rpms and try to shift, like when drag racing it happens alot, but on the track not as much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers
but i dont think this helps! your bike is 08 and had 2 clutch up grades.

my bike is 09 with updated clutch, or is there a problem with
the up grades?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
no clue. the first upgrade was for a cracked plate and a nut or something, the other was for the case and an addition of a plate i think plus a new oil pump or something. id just suggest upgrading to a hinson one.

i was just saying though that the false neutral is very common for the can-am.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I found that after the tranny was worked in a bit it shifted better. Also I adjusted my clutch lever so that it spreads the clutch disks more.

I love this bike, but the gear shifting sucks.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well, I have the problem 4th to 3rd gear. The shift pawls helps a little, make sure you have them in. I believe can-am is working on a solution, and has one, they just need to continue testing.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
yea i got the pawls and they helped alot but it seemed like after a 5 hour ride it started to slip again. but hell after being on the bike for that long i didnt care i just wanted a beer haha

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've noticed that my quad shifts a lot better now that i have had a few races on it.

Is the shift pawl update something that can-am will cover or do you need to buy them?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Never had a problem with false neutrals or anything else on my 09. Never had a problem before or after the clutch update. Heck just did a 10 hour race and rode the DS for half of it and never had any shifting problems. I will tell you that it shits a heck of a lot better then my brothers LTR! I wonder if its just the 08's that have the problems.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
My 09 MXXR does it 2-3 and 4-3 irrattically ... we will be tearing down the tranny after the january races. I will also Contact Can- AM since they sponsor us and ask them for a fix. If they tell me nothing, we will replace the third gear fork and 3rd gear as well.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My 09 MXXR does it 2-3 and 4-3 irrattically ... we will be tearing down the tranny after the january races. I will also Contact Can- AM since they sponsor us and ask them for a fix. If they tell me nothing, we will replace the third gear fork and 3rd gear as well.

let me know what you here or find.. start a new thread so we all can find out!!!!:):):)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can Am Racing offers an updated shift pawl (you will need two of them) that was designed to help with this problem. We replaced the pawls on one of our bikes and not the other one. The difference in the shifting between the two is night and day. The bike with the updated pawls is very smooth and has almost 0 mis-shifts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts