Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. Its been a good minute since I've been on here, but have some big things coming up.
Ran into another solider here on Bragg who says he race's XC and asked me to give it a try. I went and applied for an AMA Racing Card seeing as he said that's all I need (safety gear of course) It's going to be in 3 weeks.
Is there ANYTHING I should know or do before then? I'm thinking about raising my quad as high as it will go, but some people might beg to differ... Might as well ask the pros.
What should I get ready for?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Is your ds stock? Any mods? I would def not go as high as you can go. I really try to be as low as I can without destroying stuff. Usually about 6 1/2" at pegs and 6 3/4 at the front bolt holes for the factory nerfs.

·
Registered
703 Posts
My first race years ago,I learned to NOT ride over my head and remember its all for fun.Yea,not to high,you will be tippy in corners.Get some roll-offs for your goggles if you dont already,good-luck!

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
lets see........kill switch...nerfs....tear-offs/roll-offs...20" rears....maybe a 21? front? guards for EVERYTHING dont hurt....since crap looooves to break when you least expect it....before the race make sure everything is TIGHT....after my first (and last!) race i was missing probably 20 different bolts...pegs were falling off, fenders, nerfs, exhaust....oh and like stated TAKE IT EASY...ride at a comfortable pace...expect to loose lol...you will pass the people riding above their level...thats how i got 9th out of 18....DNFs will happen...just make sure you take all precautions.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Race yourself your first race. Meaning just go for a finish. Work your way into competition with others each race. Even though you think your in shape a good continuous 1.5 to 2 hours of race pace is a lot different than a weekend ride. I can't tell you how many people I end up passing that go all out on the first lap or so and end up crashing, breaking things, or wearing out physically. Rule #1 is just go have FUN. And by the way, welcome to the coolest addiction on the planet!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts