Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any have a bent frame repair? I bent my frame and the dealer wants me to buy a new frame. I thought bent pieces can be replace on this frame.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
i had mine repaired. they popped off one piece and pulled it straight while ordering another. that was done fairly quickly too...not like the clutch hahaha

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, I'm going try to do it myself. I also blow up the clutch, hopefully the warranty covers it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rail where the upper arms mount. I was doing a wheelie and I hit a bump. I fell off and the bike did some cartwheels. The damage isn't too bad but it bugs me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks Bushwacker! I was just wondering my son loves to jump and he hits some
pretty big ones. I just wanted be aware of any weak spots in the frame.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I weigh 260+ and jump my quad all the time. I had no problems with the frame but I did break a ball joint. I was surprized the frame wasn't too damage from the crash and I still rode rest of the day. I've seen other quads get more damage when they cartwheel.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
same. where the upper arm pivots. rolled it on asphalt tho so im sure that worsened the damage. although the dealer said it would bend from jumping hahaha. the arms bent too so one wheel is kinda cantered. stupid aluminum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bent frame

Just bent my frame over the weekend. Was a on hill climb, bike did two cartwheels back down the hill. Went down to get it and the frame was bent in the front. I've seen plenty of quads cartwheel and never bend a frame. Anyone have a suggestion? Could a automobile shop straighten it out with a frame machine? Price of the frame is $1200. This sucks.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
well....kinda depends on where on the front of the frame its bent, and the extent of the damage. what does that $1200 include? the whole beauty of the altec frame is that its in pieces, so a whole frame doesnt need to get replaced or pulled in these cases. however, when i bent it, one piece was salvagable, and another piece was ordered, and that only set me back like 600 bux OTD. i dont think just any mechanic could do the job, stick with the dealer, plus i read that any work done on a BRP machine that is not a dealer is borderlining on voiding a warrenty. so if that $1200 includes new aluminum and labor, honestly i dont think its that bad. aluminum aint cheap. and god knows the dealer shop isnt a good deal either. im assuming though that 2 rolls from a hill climb would render any aluminum useless as i know it weakens if dimpled.

best word of advice, stay on the bike next time hahahaha. just kidding. good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I bought my Ds x mid season last year I just got it back from the dealership and I had inquired about my front right left wheel looking off camber, the dealership told me that my frame was bent. I realize that guys like Jermey lawson race these quads and they also hit really big doubles and jumps. I so far haven't been able to get enough courage to go over huge jumps like that, also I have never cartwheeled my quad before I dont know what I should do about this I feel kinda robbed as I havent done any really crazy jumps, really got to ride the quad, and I already have a bent frame.
What To Do??
p.s I love the Quads Power and handling I jsut dont understand the feeble frame?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've talked to a can am mechanic and he said the frames need to be redesigned.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you guys are scaring me with all this bent frame talk. i hope i dont run into any problems with the frame a $8500 quad better hold up to duning and trail riding.

My frame was fine until I cart wheeled it. I still ride it every weekend. I'll take some pics and post them up later.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wasn't planning on that but when your friend brings his hot sister showing of too much got me in trouble. Heres the pics.
frame1.jpg

frame3.jpg

frame4.jpg

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
see that totally pisses me off cuz i got the same canter that bushwacker has but i supposedly had mine fixed. rolled it. bent frame. they "fixed" it. still bent. wtf dood?

·
Registered
323 Posts
i got hit saturday and it broke my footpeg off. i gotta buy a new frame now. i'll find out more hopefully tomorrow.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts