Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just out in my garage removing the plastic off my DS450. When I went to remove the fuel cap my tank let out a loud hiss. Obviously my cap is not venting. This hiss I heard was the vacuum created in the tank which caused the side walls of my tank to suck in. Has anyone had this happen to them before? Can I just pressure up my tank with air and hope that the sides pop out again?

Also Can Am in their infinite wisdom uses speed nuts for their fasteners. Would you believe I was on the last bolt to remove my plastic and the friggen speed nut tac weld broke. Of coarse this was the one that is on the inside of the right fender that secures the headlight to the bracket behind the plastic. This pink wire job should have been a breeze but this set me back about 45 minutes while I took my Dremel and removed the head of the bolt. Guess I'll finish the pink wire mod tomorrow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Never seen that happen before. If it was mine, I'd give it a shot at trying to pop it back out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
That is strange. I haven't heard anything like that, make sure your gas cap is breathing, if not, get a new one. Also, If your talking about the inserts into the frame the plastic bolts go into, quite a few of mine spin, just pull out on the fender, it seems to work for me.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've had bikes before where the cap hisses when you lossen it... I always just thaought it was normal. . . I know that the fuel can boil sometimes when itrs ridden warm which will cause it to hiss and suction once it goes hot, cool, hot cool a few times. If it is possible you should try to pull it out with a heavy duty suction cup thiong that glass installers use... If your able to get a good suction over the crease that is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used some compressed air and that opened the tank up about 95%. Rode it hard last weekend and everything seems to be fine. At the most I may have lost a little distance capacity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts