Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im from Australia and I have had 2 can-am ds450s for the 2008 mx racing season, and I have just had 3rd gear brake and go throw the gear box :( and 3rd gear in the other bike replaced and I'v only just done 30 hours on both bikes. I was wondering if there is other people r having the same thing happen to there ds450s.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yeah Motoworks here in the US told me they have been breaking on the race bikes...Call them or DASA and let me know what they are doing to avoid it....there is a mod they do, grinding or somethng like that.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Same box so Id assume.....we are going to look at mine soon and see what they are saying.......good luck! Protec and motoworks told me about this...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've had the same problem on my son's 08 race bike. We just killed third gear for the second time in four months. I spoke to Motoworks as well and got the same info TNT had. Motoworks said there is a clearance issue with third that causes this problem. MW mills the gear down to resolve this issue. For $130 they will sell you a new gear that has been milled to the corrected speck. I'll be ordering one here shortly to get the kids bike back up and running. Hopefuly this will fix the problem for the long haul.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yeah I think what happen is the 09 gears got strengthened, meaning the gears are wider than the 08. The 08 was meant to have a reverse but it never came about so they made the 09 gears wider to strengthen them as there was a space in the box. A new selector drum was also fitted and the casings have been changed slightly to adapt the new changes. These changes were not really advertised, makes me aware of the commitment and dedication of the guy’s at Can-am, work of art! :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I talked to my dealership here in Phoenix and they said for around $900 we could convert the 08 over to 09 specs. It would essentially entail changing out all of the gears plus some of the forks. As was mentioned above by TNT, the 09 gears are wider than the 08 models.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
our 09 ds has third gear trashed right now , they are saying it is because he is racing.... it started by being in third landing 80 foot plus jumps and the bike going into nuetral upon landing because of the negative g-forces.
they claim that he is landing with his foot on the shifter,..... i say that 3rd gear detent "sux" can am says that i am just wrong...
" it is what it is"

·
Registered
900 Posts
Canamracerdad - there was an update to the shifting mechanisn, the tooth segment and pawls....it caused false nuetral and other gear problems on 08 and some 09 models depending on your engine #. Might want to have a look see.

·
Registered
87 Posts
our 09 ds has third gear trashed right now , they are saying it is because he is racing.... it started by being in third landing 80 foot plus jumps and the bike going into nuetral upon landing because of the negative g-forces.
they claim that he is landing with his foot on the shifter,..... i say that 3rd gear detent "sux" can am says that i am just wrong...
" it is what it is"
Thanks for the heads up! I'd been slightly dissappointed if I'd spent a lot money to switch the gears out and then still have the same issues. I'll see the Moto Works Team at Primm in two weeks. I'll run this issue by them to see what their thoughts are. I'll let you know what I find out.
:albert:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I spoke to Ty Zimmerman with the Can Am Motoworks team. Ty said they developed an entirely new third gear that was redesigned and made out of a stronger metal than the factory gear that came in the 08's. He also said they would utilize the new gear and also machine part of the 4th gear to adjust some of the clearances between the two. Once they made the change to their machine, he said they had zero gear failures. Ty said to give him a call if you have any questions or would like to order the gear. His number is 760-758-5560. The gear costs about $130.

I'm going to try this combo in Robert's bike. I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sorry for revive the post.... but any fresh news about this?

Now I'm the owner of a Suzuki LTR with 4th times 3rd gear failures and i'm thinking to buy a new 09 DS MX but reading this post scary me :search:
I've been watching the gears on the 09 from many riders for 1.5 years and have never heard of an issue. If you land jumps on the shifter any quad may have problems and what I said about the drum and pawls may just be a vicious rumor never advertised, I never heard of an 09 that was not updated.

4 new 3rds on the LTR WOW thats not a vicious rumor. I thought ATP Racings billet 3rd gear set gear solves the problem, that and having the gears REM treated (special coating/polish).

·
Registered
900 Posts
thanks for the info.

well, the billet 3rd gear set from ATP has a life of twice the normal in my case :( but i think my quad has "another" problem, so i don't think it's only an ATP gear failure.

All the explanation:
Billet 3rd gear from ATP BROKEN - Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com
Well that’s interesting...no one on that forum has a clue what they are talking about lol. I guarantee it's not from the way you ride or anything stated.....It's the factory, I see it all the time, I see it on the Can-am, YFZ, all quads, but this third gear takes the cake...Well I did see this poor fellow get a totally bad 09 DS450 frame total loss, isolated case tho....It’s caused from tolerance accumulations it’s the only logical explanation…..

I’m dealing with tons of it on our line now, some designs fault, some tooling’s, some manufacturing….it happens and I see lots of variations and discrepancies from unit to unit based on a lack of control of tolerances that get past inspection…So depending where you’re at the food chain or even what day of the week yours was built you get the shaft…..To what degree depends on the design and the manufacturing tolerance plan and which way yours floated.

Sorry to hear that sucks…..Don’t know if I agree with the comment on the YFZr, as an owner of two YFZ’s I’m not impressed but to each their own.

I’m not saying you won’t have problems with the DS, I’m not totally sure if some of the 09 issues have been addressed in 2010. Sometimes they don’t advertise all the upgrades, but I can assure no where near 4 3rd gears, not even close the 09 is a pretty decent quad…..just be prepared to get a clutch basket, maybe an axle, maybe some frame gussets, a battery box, let see maybe a few other small things I forgot but as you see nothing out of the ordinary.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Well that’s interesting...no one on that forum has a clue what they are talking about lol. I guarantee it's not from the way you ride or anything stated.....It's the factory, I see it all the time, I see it on the Can-am, YFZ, all quads, but this third gear takes the cake...Well I did see this poor fellow get a totally bad 09 DS450 frame total loss, isolated case tho....It’s caused from tolerance accumulations it’s the only logical explanation…..

I’m dealing with tons of it on our line now, some designs fault, some tooling’s, some manufacturing….it happens and I see lots of variations and discrepancies from unit to unit based on a lack of control of tolerances that get past inspection…So depending where you’re at the food chain or even what day of the week yours was built you get the shaft…..To what degree depends on the design and the manufacturing tolerance plan and which way yours floated.
but are you talking about the DS or the Suzuki LTR????

Well, i agree with you, "they don’t advertise all the upgrades" and sometimes LIE....

A Suzuki delegates from Spain told me "there isn't more cases" wich is false, obvious, i know on Spain at least two more persons, and USA-Canada at least 20 owners......

And the 3rd Drive Gear for a 08 (24231-45G10) it is discontinued and superceded by 24231-45G30 and 08 3rd driven 24331-45G10 is superceded by 24331-45G30. If they changed it because there was a problem..... but the big problem is that the "revised" gear set breaks even sooner.

Revised 3rd gear set from SUZUKI
Revised 3rd gear set from SUZUKI - Suzuki LT-R450 Forum :: LTR450HQ.com

"or even what day of the week yours was built" jejeje yes, Even every same model of a quad is totally different... yes I know LTR'S K8 that don't break the third gear!!! and mine 4th times.

If finally buy a Can-Am DS MX from wich day manufactured is better? :fingersx:

·
Registered
900 Posts
I bet what’s happening with that third gear is they can’t find the problem there is some tolerance variation somewhere, what they been working on it three years now. Most manufactures once they have a proven fail proof processes which involves lots of prototype testing of the design and manufacturing cycle over some pre-determined number of units, will then go into full production, the first X number of units are sold at a discount and later updated at a cost or for free…..that’s where we are at unit 20 still lots of variation I am working on but on a product line units cost $200 million, not $10,000. Well that’s not the case with quads from what I have seen if you get a Friday quad you’re fighting tooth and nail with these OEMs to get what’s owed you. I had seen this with the guy that had the DS frame issue and now you with the LTR. What’s worse is if you read the fine print in most warrantees (any quad) it states that if you race the quad, the warrantee is voided to what they advertise as a “race ready” quad…go figure! BRP is notorious for this by giving you a “race package” to an already ‘race ready’ quad that voids your warrantee two fold. What OEM stands behind race ready quads? None! It falls back to the dealer for the most part except in isolated cases such as yours that are beyond the dealer. Yeah they lie, cheat, and steal to get out of paying for anything….just went through this on my F-450. All you can do is keep your fingers crossed, find a good dealer (can-am 50-50 chance), and stay away from Friday models (ha). I’ll tell you an engine though where parts are machined to .005 - .010 and .030 can cause problems would be much more difficult for the consumer to deal with than a frame built to .010 -.060….not that a frame that has to go back into a line jig is not next to impossible and a long battle with the OEM too. The dealer in the DS frame case I seen could not fix this twisted DS frame and Can-am was being stubborn so the guy sold out, he was member “Outagas”.

As I said, you'll find on any quad there are manufacturing isolated cases NONE come together perfect every time every unit, the DS frame (1) is all I seen in 1.5 years of following it which is not that bad. All quads have issues, just a matter of how severe do your home work as you are....The other frame issue I mentioned up in front of the quad is minor and easily resolved by gussets……some see issues there, as in the clutch and axle some don’t, again attributed to tolerances as with any quad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts