Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some researched and read some of the factory Can-am notes about the DS. apparently the high modified engines are having a little trouble with over heating but there are some fixes.

1) there is a a rad scoop that the factory uses that helps alot, apparently not yet available.
2) Problem with fuel boiling in the gas tank from superheated air. Quick fix that can maintain power in long moto's, remove gas tank and buy some reflective heat tape and tape the ounderside of the tank.
3) as far as trapped hot air around the plastics of engine, it isn't much of a big deal unless the engine is highly modifies, but if you drill some 3/4 inch diameter holes it should allow some of the heat to escape.

-Sean

·
Registered
12 Posts
<div align='left'></div>I believe the radiator scoops are to keep the radiator clean from debris. Ended up making my own. After one moto i could barely see any parts of the radiator that air could go though, leading to over heating. And the tape around the gas tank does work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vtmxer @ Dec 7 2008, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div align='left'>
I believe the radiator scoops are to keep the radiator clean from debris. Ended up making my own. After one moto i could barely see any parts of the radiator that air could go though, leading to over heating. And the tape around the gas tank does work.[/b][/quote]

Can I get a pic of your custom shrouds, how did you make them?

·
Registered
12 Posts
They are built with dirtbike fins and the middle bar and the shrouds are something I designed. They are not the finally ones I am going to use. Going to perfect them over the winter.

[attachment=14:IMG_0224.jpg]
[attachment=13:IMG_0223.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vtmxer @ Dec 9 2008, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
They are built with dirtbike fins and the middle bar and the shrouds are something I designed. They are not the finally ones I am going to use. Going to perfect them over the winter.

[attachment=14:IMG_0224.jpg]
[attachment=13:IMG_0223.jpg][/b]

Those are nice. You should put the screen up behind it, because some mud will still get past the fins, and then the screen will catch it instead of the radiator.

·
Registered
12 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TNT @ Dec 12 2008, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The 09 has the reflective tape on the tank pointing toward to engine.[/b]
you will find taping all the way around will be helpful. The heat gets trapped under the plastic. That is why the race teams drill holes everywhere.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Good info. Tank looks like a beech to get out...I'm going to try and just tape what I can with it in, I think I can get to most of it. I'll drill holes in the plastic surrounding the tank fwd of the front fenders, they do put a lot of plastic around it.....As far as adding radiator shrouds Millers quad has them......I'm running 10-15 motos and not as hard as him so what I'll do is after one of my moto's see if the gas is boiling in the summer on a hot day. We have to remember we am's are not running 20 min's + 1 motos as hard as them so we may not need to waste our money on pro bikes.....I will be safe, add the tape, drill the holes, then see how it goes. I am sure EPIC/DASA/PROTEC has the shrouds if I need them.

EFI and pressurized fuel whole different game then carbs. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TNT @ Dec 14 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Good info. Tank looks like a beech to get out...I'm going to try and just tape what I can with it in, I think I can get to most of it. I'll drill holes in the plastic surrounding the tank fwd of the front fenders, they do put a lot of plastic around it.....As far as adding radiator shrouds Millers quad has them......I'm running 10-15 motos and not as hard as him so what I'll do is after one of my moto's see if the gas is boiling in the summer on a hot day. We have to remember we am's are not running 20 min's + 1 motos as hard as them so we may not need to waste our money on pro bikes.....I will be safe, add the tape, drill the holes, then see how it goes. I am sure EPIC/DASA/PROTEC has the shrouds if I need them.

EFI and pressurized fuel whole different game then carbs. :D[/b]

epic, dasa, protec or any of the other companies sell the radiator shrouds. Those are made by can-am for the factory race quads only.

·
Registered
12 Posts
TNT i ride with a lot of dirtbikers so I get a lot of roast in the front. Even after a 15 min practice I have to clean the radiator out. Racing is even worse if you don't get a good start or it is muddy conditions. I have try some contact in the snowmobile racing industry to get my hands on the shroud and I get a lot of nothing, that's why I made my own. Remember the shrouds hurt airflow, but keep the radiator clean.
As far as taping the top is the least important spot. You have a vent already built in with the cover piece, if any thing drill a couple 1/2 in holes for more venting.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If I'm looking at the pics correctely vtmxr shrouds cover the front of the radiator and like he said hurt airflow. The ones I seen on Cody Miller's quad were side extensions to improve air flow entrapment, not radiator frontal blockers. We know the miller's and will ask where they got thiers. I don/t want to block the front of my radiator and hurt airflow in any way for 110 deg mx races…I'll just power wash it after every moto. When I put my big high power motor in I am already concerned that stock radiator won't cool and will need to be replaced with a PWR. I'll run ICE we have good success with it. I do like the tape and hole idea though to keep the gas cool.

·
Registered
36 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TNT @ Dec 17 2008, 06:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If I'm looking at the pics correctely vtmxr shrouds cover the front of the radiator and like he said hurt airflow. The ones I seen on Cody Miller's quad were side extensions to improve air flow entrapment, not radiator frontal blockers. We know the miller's and will ask where they got thiers. I don/t want to block the front of my radiator and hurt airflow in any way for 110 deg mx races…I'll just power wash it after every moto. When I put my big high power motor in I am already concerned that stock radiator won't cool and will need to be replaced with a PWR. I'll run ICE we have good success with it. I do like the tape and hole idea though to keep the gas cool.[/b]

The ones that the factory teams are using are made by can-am, they do not sell them to the public, and yes the factory ones do hurt the air flow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
TNT I built my shrouds just by looking at pictures from magazines and the internet. I am by no means an engineer. In the northeast were I live (Vermont) we don't ever see 110 degrees, high 90's sometimes. The one race I ran with the shrouds I built was a mud race and I never had a problem with over heating. It might be different with a built motor (I'm running a stock motor), but a clean radiator is all I am after>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts