Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3/4" lowered subframe. Time needed about 2 hours.
Hey guys figured I would make this thread even though there are already some out there. I just wanted to clear things up and show people how easy this is. I made the hip braces myself out of 1/16" steel. If you would be interested in some or have any questions on this thread you can shoot me a text at 8159794204..
Pros and cons of doing this.
Pros-lower center of gravity, better cornering, and better traction.
Cons- air box can be hit by swing arm if not done properly. And also potentially hurting your fingers. Haha
Here's a before and after.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Step 1: First you need hip braces. You can buy some from can reimers, me, or make your own.
Next you need to take a measurement, I recommend that you measure from the same spot that I did, this is very accurate and will be exactly the same results everytime. My mesurement was 20 3/4"

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
your quad looks bada$$ dude love those colors!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Step 5: Now cut out the center parts of the subframe ends. Then round off the sharp edges. After you do this set it up like you were to mount it. You will notice about a 1/4" drop.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Step 6: Now to get the next half inch or so of clearance you have to trim the bottom pieces. Cut along the lines I marked. Make sure that you go through both of the pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Step 8: Next you'll need to drill the holes for the bolts to go through to mount the subframe to the hip. I found out after a few minutes the easiest way to do this was to put the drill bit that is the size of the bolt in the Hole and push down on the back of the subframe until it reaches the 3/4" drop and your holes match up. After the holes are lined up, make sure you have your sides level and that your bolts fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Step 9: Now attach your hip braces and slide the bolts through and snug em up. After all the subframe bolts are snug, put the level on and double check the balance and also the gap. Make sure you have the desired 3/4" drop. Once everything is level and to the correct length, tighten the bolts!

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Step 10: After all the bolts are tight now mount the exhaust and rear shock rezi. Just to show that a normal exhaust will work EASILY with the 3/4" lowering. Now you have better cornering capability, and a more stable feel to the quad! Hope this helped clarify any questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Seems like it would be much easier to lengthen pull rod. The subframe just lowers the seat right? not the entire quad and rider center of gravity?
I did both on my race quad

·
Registered
994 Posts
Seems like it would be much easier to lengthen pull rod. The subframe just lowers the seat right? not the entire quad and rider center of gravity?
I did both on my race quad
Wow! I would think it would make it feel too low. Did ya do them one at a time or all at once.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Did them one at a time. I did the subframe first and rode it for a while. Then decided to do the pullrod on the race bike because I love how it felt on the practice quad. You have to cut the left lower corner off the airbox and either use duct tape (that's what I did) or get crafty with sheet metal and pop rivets to close it up. If you don't the caliper will crack the box.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.