Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys im new here. My name is Santiago and im from argentina and i wanted to ask you guys a question, especially for those who race their DS's. I currently race a HONDA TRX 450 Pro-Am class, it has elka elites all around, lsr a arms and axle, elka systme 3 steering damper, renthal handlebar, fat boy 4 exhaust, hot cam stage 1, rear beadlocks and couple of more stuff that arent that important now :). I recently discovered the new DS MX ready bike and im in love with it and i certainly dont know what to do. Would i have a worst quad if i buy the new ds or would it be better or equal. i dont know if im being clear haha, my english is a little messed up (sorry not my natal language). the thing is that im in between changing my honda a 09' (still using all my race parts) or buying the new ds.. If you could give me your opinion it would be great, thanks a lot guys!!!!.. here a couple of pics..

blaster99 should remember me from project blaster forum..i owned a black blaster with elkas all around..

·
Registered
459 Posts
Nice pics!! I wouldn't compare a built honda to a stock ds450mx. You would need to put some money into the ds to perform the way you like.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My son went from a built yfz which we still have to the ds450 mx and he loves his ds.
Every time he rides the yfz he cusses it, the ds handles better.

I think its more on your riding style and what your used to and if your willing to step
outside box and try something new.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
hey man whats up? glad to see ya around! My friend who runs pro and pro am in our series has two fox/gibson honda, basically built as much as they can. He snapped an axle when we were riding and he got on my ds, which is a stock 09 with the motoworks slip on, and he said it turns better, it dosn't tire him out, and its funner to ride. His shocks, and my shocks he said were very comparable, the only downside was the motor. That is to be expected though, his motors push 60 horse, and mine is stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So basically with some motorwork i should be reaching my honda's performance?? Thats good, really good!! And what about a-arms? are the long travel as the yfzR, i mean can i swap the stock shcoks for elkas LT with out changing a arms? how do you guys like the shocks overall performance..i mean what happens when you overjump and they bottom out really bad can tey handle that or are they like normal stock shocks that doesnt forgive you anything..sorry for so many questions i need to clear out all my doubts before making any decission..

thanks a lot guys!!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The a-arms are awesome, they have every adjustment, and take 20.5 inch shocks. The stock shocks are wicked good, i got 5th at a natioanl in B class this year on them, so they work nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
20.5 shocks? Niceee!! I think ill change to the ds if i can, the 2010 is siiick. Regarding engine and chassis has anyone got any problem like chassis crack or overheating or transmission crack (like honda) ..something like that?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
well a local pro of ours cracked his sub frame off, but he didn't have the 09 support bracket. so if he had it, he wouldn't have broken it. He is the hardest rider on anything, and the quad seems to be holding together decent. The frames look cheesy, but they are strong. Nothings gone wrong with a tranny that i have heard of yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
excellent!! thanks a lot guys you really helped me out!! im going to visit my local dealer this coming week!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts