Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the directions that I used to put a tether on my ds.

1. If the contact is closed when the tether cored is removed, connect the contact in parallel with the key switch wires. The black, and black and yellow (if there is no black and yellow, there should be a black and white wire. This will give a ground to the ecm when removed, and will stop the engine without shutting down the ecm.
2. If the contact is open when the tether cord is removed, disconnect from the left switch housing, the black and white wire and connect the cord between. This will remove power from the engine and shut the ecm down.

Im not sure how to find out if your tether is closed or open, but I'm sure if you called the manufacturer, they would tell you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im not sure how to find out if your tether is closed or open, but I'm sure if you called the manufacturer, they would tell you.[/quote]

use a multimeter and look for continuity when you pull the clip on and off

·
Registered
10 Posts
"Where are you guys installing the actual switch?

Where is it located on the 2009s? "

i donno my 09 XC didnt come with one??...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
some 09s didn't come with the tethers. you put the switch on your handlebars, and it goes to the tires right under your front plastic.

·
Registered
72 Posts
some 09s didn't come with the tethers. you put the switch on your handlebars, and it goes to the tires right under your front plastic.

I assume you mean "wires" not "tires"... funny.

I do not want to make a bracket for a handlebar mount, so I am going to drill a hole in the plastic near the key switch. I think this will look cleaner and the wires will connect to the blk/y and blk wires right behind the key switch.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I assume you mean "wires" not "tires"... funny.

I do not want to make a bracket for a handlebar mount, so I am going to drill a hole in the plastic near the key switch. I think this will look cleaner and the wires will connect to the blk/y and blk wires right behind the key switch.

Thanks

haha yeah i mean wires. The tether switch i have actually clamps to the bars. but i like your idea of putting it by the key.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Most are normally open & then close when pulled

If you don't have a meter, you can use a light tester or even a battery & bulb of equal volts. putting the tether in line between battery pos + & light then ground or negative (-)
If the light glows it is closed if not it is open, pull tether & light & switch should change state.

NO ONE LIKES A TETHER that cuts out on the track so.....
Also good to solder & heat shrink connections or at least use good sealed connectors & a good crimp tool. then tape or cold shrink the connections. I can send some to anyone if they needs them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello, I need your help for connecting the Tether Switch :

Key connector :

Start / Stop Switch:

start/stop switch connector (on the left)

Ignition Coil 1:

Ignition Coil 2 :

Tether switch : contact is closed when the tether cored is removed

I tried between Black & Black/white but it does not work.
I have opened the Start/stop switch and it works if the Black & Black/white are open!
The engine stop !
But my tether switch is exactly the opposite function of that !
So I have to find another solution.
I tried to shunt the Ignition Coil 1 (same I did on my previous LTZ400), the engine stopped but I had a message error on the screen, "Limp Home Mode" with orange indicator lighted as a problem on the ECM. I was scared !
Hopefully, the engine started after restart !

If anyone has an idea, please help me !

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wired my kill switch to the back of the key switch, but I swear mine had differrent color wires. I need to take my plastic off, so I wll post a pick for you tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So you have connected the tether on this connector, correct?

Ok please take a picture, thanks for your help !

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wired mine right at the back of the key switch, for some reason I don't see black wires on yours. I'm not sure why, I would think the wiring colors would be the same in all countries.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Our wiring is differrent! Here is a picture of the key switch wire harness.

There are 5 wires (not including the 2 I added for the tether switch). Yours only has 4.

I connected to the black and the black/yellow wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
thanks Celsior !
You're right, I don't know why but my Key switch wiring is different than yours !
very strange, my DS450X is from 04/2008.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i would recommend getting a pingle or any other type open switch. (circuit is open when the pin is pulled.) You connect the wires inline with the kill switch and if you get the right connectors you can make the connection without cutting any wires.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i would recommend getting a pingle or any other type open switch. (circuit is open when the pin is pulled.) You connect the wires inline with the kill switch and if you get the right connectors you can make the connection without cutting any wires.[/QUOTEPingle or Gunnar are Normally Closed Killswitch. With the fork on , the circuit is closed have to tap in in line with the violet/tan wire

·
Registered
46 Posts
If it does not work with black and black white then the teather wires may have to be reversed in the piece on the bars itself had to do this on mine.
It does hook the the black and black wire on ignition. This picture is just to show the wires.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a '10 xmx and I installed a pro armor cord. I pulled off the hood, and just above the radiator on the left side (facing the front of the machine) there is a pair of wires coming from the wiring bundle with a quick connect end. The one end will accept the pig tails from the tether cord, you just need to get the correct size female ends to crimp onto the pig tails. Total time to install was about twenty minutes. Better than cutting and splicing into the keyed ignition wires. Don't know if this quick connect is on all models, but is definitely on the xmx. Simple and safe way to install. Hope this helped.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts