Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to take the whole engine out to change the piston? I heard from someone that I would have too... Please confirm if that's true or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
I Think that you have to. you may be able just to pull the head off and work on it while its in the bike. when I pulled both of my quad motors they didn't have too much room to work with though so Idk if you can do it while its in the bike.
....All in all if you want it done right.... take it to RSR mechanical shop they will cut it open and replace everything with the proper duct tape that is required.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
you "CAN" do it by tilting the engine, but that comes from very few people that know the bike VERY WELL. If this is your first piston change on the DS, I'd suggest just pulling the engine. That is how I did mine (in Jan) and it wasn't too bad. Timing kicked my ass (please search threads that I started for tips/tricks), but the engine removal was easy. Just take your time and follow the manual.

·
Registered
198 Posts
lets just say that removing the engine is the easy part, if youre worried about that i would suggest to take it to a pro...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yeah, there's no magic to it, but the DS is one of the most unconventional quads I've ever come across. There are many parts and pieces that are interdependent. One part has to be removed to get to something else, so on and so forth. I'm sure if you have mechanical aptitude and a fair amount of patience, you can save yourself the expense of having a shop complete the task...and, of course all of us on the forum are here to lend a digital hand. However, if you want peace of mind, have a pro do it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys got it!! Wasn't to bad at all. Just wanted to know what I was getting myself into before I started. I appreciate all the help.

Also just a heads up in 2008 Can Am made quads with 2 different piston size 96mm and 97mm. I found that put the hard way. Well, now i will now have a CP High Compression 96mm piston for sale.

Big shout out to BCS for the quick shipping on the 97mm piston. Those guys are great!!!!!

Thanks again for the insight.
Franco

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Glad you got it all done right!

Did you use the stock markings on the bottom of the cylinder head assembly to verify piston size?

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
^^^ Pict please!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts