Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas and ladies i just got my new ds and im looking for the easy mods for now but i like to no if anyone knows where i can get a air box eliminator kit, and do u no of some easy mods besides the pink wire.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I called Ron Wood and they said they're working on one.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Easy Mods

Look under suspension.. just posted a suspension setup steps.
HEad peipe is good.... Purchase a slip on
PCIII or similar programmer
Bigger Air box/ Air Breather
Stearing Stabilizer

Cheap Mods

Cut Pink Wire
Pull out Silencer Baffle/ Spark Arrester
Get Twin Air Air Filter
Drill 3/4" diameter holes in Airbox
Set up your ride height
Total cost= $25 for Air Filter

·
Registered
323 Posts
i got the rossier intake. i put it in first and rode it w/ the stock pipe just to see the gains and it added a little power every where. then i put the pipe on and it was a different quad.

·
Registered
114 Posts
heres a lil knowledge for u guys .....call rossier and order ONLY the aluminum fitting braket for the air filter ....then order a replacement air filter for a trx450 from VELOCITY filters.......huge gains, and only cost about 160 for both.....also this is the largest filter u can possibly put in the lil box the ds comes with ......then get out the drill and go to work on the box its self, drilling everything but the bottom of the box.....after drilling make sure to sand down the rough edges and stringy plastic left , they divert airflow

·
Registered
477 Posts
hey dasa 450 im curious as to why dasa went with oversized valves, the intake and exhaust valves are already huge. the engine builder im going to use said he has built 815cc ds650 motors with smaller valves and they run 3.8's in 300ft.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ive been goin threw different valves with the fellas over at dasa ......i lost some bottom end with the larger valves but the quad is a monster up high ....im about put back the stock valves that have actaully been made slightly smaller with resin inserts to see what happens ....the builders at dasa think it might actually increase my hp on the low end....ill keep u informed......im dieing to put it on a dyno i just put in my 2nd grind of cams which i think is givin me more mid range then the first grind dasa sent me and the low and high range seem to have stayed the same ......if these new valves on the way dont work i think im gonna start lookin for someone who will do a big bore stroker job on this motor , cause i need more bottom end ....but ill know all that as soon as the parts come and i get it back on the dyno.....i will keep u posted

·
Registered
459 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dasaDS450 @ Jan 26 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ive been goin threw different valves with the fellas over at dasa ......i lost some bottom end with the larger valves but the quad is a monster up high ....im about put back the stock valves that have actaully been made slightly smaller with resin inserts to see what happens ....the builders at dasa think it might actually increase my hp on the low end....ill keep u informed......im dieing to put it on a dyno i just put in my 2nd grind of cams which i think is givin me more mid range then the first grind dasa sent me and the low and high range seem to have stayed the same ......if these new valves on the way dont work i think im gonna start lookin for someone who will do a big bore stroker job on this motor , cause i need more bottom end ....but ill know all that as soon as the parts come and i get it back on the dyno.....i will keep u posted[/b]

Are they going to release a pipe for the ds. TNT1 said they were working on a big bore.

·
Registered
459 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dasaDS450 @ Jan 26 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ive been goin threw different valves with the fellas over at dasa ......i lost some bottom end with the larger valves but the quad is a monster up high ....im about put back the stock valves that have actaully been made slightly smaller with resin inserts to see what happens ....the builders at dasa think it might actually increase my hp on the low end....ill keep u informed......im dieing to put it on a dyno i just put in my 2nd grind of cams which i think is givin me more mid range then the first grind dasa sent me and the low and high range seem to have stayed the same ......if these new valves on the way dont work i think im gonna start lookin for someone who will do a big bore stroker job on this motor , cause i need more bottom end ....but ill know all that as soon as the parts come and i get it back on the dyno.....i will keep u posted[/b]

Theres a shop here called KMS and they might build a big bore for me. They build a 104mm big bore on a ltr. I think this head will work better with more displacement.

·
Registered
114 Posts
a stroked crank and a bore , is gonna be the way to go in the long run it seems.......it goes like this the ds450 stock is without a doubt the best 450 out there.....its handling is unmatched.....and in stock form it is the most powerful production 450 engine ,but the motor is too top end bias.....which is good in some ways but its a double edge sword which im sure u all know by now....so the only way to keep this bikes best in class top end performance and increase low end performance and torque is gonna be a stroker, big bore kit.....but nobody seems to have anything in the making so the choice is either to wait it out or get enough people together to have a stroker connecting rod produced.....i spoke to the guys at falicon who make the best rods out there and they said they have to make a minimum of 10 and they cost about $250 a piece that rod matched with a 6 mm stroke on the crank, and then a bored out HP piston would definetely make this bike a a 60+ hp engine ....so the question is now ...whos down?

·
Registered
459 Posts
i'm interested, keep us updated. Max Power said they are working on a kit too.

·
Registered
323 Posts
how many hp are you at right now, dasa? what was your numbers stock?

·
Registered
900 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dasaDS450 @ Jan 26 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
a stroked crank and a bore , is gonna be the way to go in the long run it seems.......it goes like this the ds450 stock is without a doubt the best 450 out there.....its handling is unmatched.....and in stock form it is the most powerful production 450 engine ,but the motor is too top end bias.....which is good in some ways but its a double edge sword which im sure u all know by now....so the only way to keep this bikes best in class top end performance and increase low end performance and torque is gonna be a stroker, big bore kit.....but nobody seems to have anything in the making so the choice is either to wait it out or get enough people together to have a stroker connecting rod produced.....i spoke to the guys at falicon who make the best rods out there and they said they have to make a minimum of 10 and they cost about $250 a piece that rod matched with a 6 mm stroke on the crank, and then a bored out HP piston would definetely make this bike a a 60+ hp engine ....so the question is now ...whos down?[/b]

My man here in town is looking at all this…He has major connections after 25 years, not only Falcon but at Warnett, DASA, RAGE, ETC....He builds and supplies cylinders to all the distributors. Too much air can be a problem he says. Hes making some calculations and doing some research. Stock cams are no good and need to be replace w/billet. I'll like the big bore or stroker, but the stroker is going to cost more, either should work good w/the big ports if flowed properly….I like it since we don’t have to tune the 450's to the max and the reliability factor. We are making a hard plastic intake to rid of all the rubber and a custom exhaust. PC5 with a auto tuner on the track will also be available in about a month, smaller and more accurate than PC3.

My other concerns are fuel boiling and the radiator and that HP, but yes, if we can keep the quad together at 55-60+ hp @ 360lbs it will rip!! 56-58 is all we want for MX but may be ok with 60. I told my son to start working out hard in the gym lol!

·
Registered
459 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dasaDS450 @ Jan 27 2009, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
stroke and bore ,ice cube?[/b]

They didn't say. A ice cube is nice but people can tell what your running, so I would prefer a steath kit.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If all goes to plan i should be getting a +6mm stroker crank from OMWracing. He should be coming out with some more stuff pretty soon.

·
Registered
900 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ds450power @ Jan 27 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If all goes to plan i should be getting a +6mm stroker crank from OMWracing. He should be coming out with some more stuff pretty soon.[/b]
Yeah my buddy is pulling mine out said it probably needs a blue print and rebuild to better balance it which helps less vibration/wear and more HP and stroke it but like $1600 for a crank.....I said rather not unless it's worth it...Whats OMW cost? How much more displacement?

Motoworks told me a while back there is a 3rd gear mod...you know anything about that?

·
Registered
323 Posts
i think i'm gonna go w/ rossier's setup. 1700 for parts, labor, and shipping. they said it should be about 50-52 hp. after that, i'm done w/ the motor. :|

·
Registered
84 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robbie @ Jan 28 2009, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i think i'm gonna go w/ rossier's setup. 1700 for parts, labor, and shipping. they said it should be about 50-52 hp. after that, i'm done w/ the motor. :|[/b]
Good choice, Rossier makes killer products and builds fast machines. I cant wait to see how you like the motor pull after its done. The ds may not make the power like some of the other quads but it definately has one thing in its favor. Weight! The ds feels so good to jump. Makes my back up ltr feel like a tank. LOL

Good luck Robbie, I wish you all the luck!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts