Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could one of you guys tell me how to judge a jump .I have seen guys walk out a jump but how do you determine what speed and gear to be in ? Can anyone help me out . T

·
Registered
25 Posts
it's all about your gut feeling... lol

but some people like t follow someone as the hit it to judge speed

·
Registered
25 Posts
oh, and I forgot to say I have never came up short on a jump the first time... (notice I said first, dont get cocky)

I always overshoot them on the first try

it's better to go to far and hurt a little, than to not go far enough and hurt alot...

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
well you have to check the face of the jump, steep or sloped, and any abnormalities in the face of it as well so you know if it will pitch you one way or another... obviously your landing spot is important as well..

natural and mx jumps are alot different tho...ive never hit a steel jump and those throw you way up...but with natural jumps or gaps you can usually just hit 3rd and hold on...like stated above try to overshoot it cuz casing it sux.

you dont have to walk a jump out all that really does for the rider is showing the route and the condition of the jump...at least thats what i look for...but yea...only real way to judge a jump while riding is just pin it and hold on...hahaha

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
well, what is it? a table? or double? triple? tables are easy, just go further and further every time until you fully clear it. With a double, just watch others hit it. see if they are on the gas the whole time or not. ask them, how fast they hit it, if they are pinned or not. Also, pacing someone else off it helps a ton too. Don't pace just anyone, pace someone who is pretty good at riding off it. Inexperienced riders tend to go slower up to it and hit the face pinned, which makes it harder to pace. when all else fails, just go with your gut, and then a little faster, unless the backside of the landing, the part you would hit when you case is really forgiving, not steep, or peaky. Its also better to case a jump that shoots you lower than one that shoots you higher.

·
Registered
224 Posts
depending on how far it is and how high it is id try them usually in 3rd wide open but for some reason i cant get the front end down n if thats not enough i go in 4th 3/4 throttle... just turn your body into a liquid and let the quad do most of the work lol just hold on tight better to overjump than cake it..found that out the hard way.. nutz+gas tank=crying the rest of the practice laps lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Defintley try and start of jumping on a tabletop or a single with a downhill landing because if you dont judge a double right you could come off bad, if you case it into the face of the landing on the double it could be pretty bad depending on how big it is.

Tabletop is defintley the easiest jump to start of on. As people have already mentioned you can start of and go over it 3/4 throttle in 2nd and you'll be fine then just keep increasing your speed until you clear it and then your flying. Once you master a tapletop follow somebody over a double and keep with their speed over it.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
you know i didnt even think of saying this but try not to overshoot it TOO much...a little wont hurt...but lets say you over shoot it and your landing is lower than your kicker...by say...50 feet lower...you'll end up with broken bones. so dont over do it hahaha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts