Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bcs intake ring with k&n, but still don't know if I should install it. My mechanic and all people around say that k&n lets in some dirt and destroys the engine. Are they right or it's just wrong cleaning?
My friend told me that he used k&n and after seeing scratches when changing piston he switched to foam.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I'm a fan of foam filters. Yes, the KN/Papers filters give more power (much more air), but in dusty conditions.... i prefer foam with a clamp for security.

I don't know if with the BCS intake ring is the same size and you can put the foam filter Pro Design Pro Flow with the normal clamp or is bigger. They sell a chepaer replace only with the foam, without the intake ring.

Now i'm using the stock foam filter with the prefilter and another one foam filter, the Pro Design Pro Flow foam filter (two layers) wich is one used by my last Quad (Suzuki LTR 450) and has the same intake ring size.

And yes, it's a pain of ass cleaning a foam filter but the way to go is using specialized products to clean them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd go foam before I used a k+n, not a fan of their product at all

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
i too have the larger k&n w/the prefilter. after a VERY dusty day it does get dirty but cleaning them after a very dusty ride or every few rides is just good maintenance!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I run a K&N and prefer it also. I also run a prefilter and usually run the lid on. The key is maintenance, you need to regularly clean it and properly oil it. Always ran a K&N on my previous quads and never had a problem, just have to maintain it regularly. For me I absolutely hate oiling foam filters!:rocketwhore:

·
Registered
811 Posts
I honestly don't like the k&n filters. I actually think foam is easier to clean and re-oil(just use latex gloves). I like the fact that I can tell when a foam is clean cause you can squeeze out the excess water. I've also heard and seen people that use K&N filters where dirt has gotten by and ruins the piston...could be operator error though.

·
Registered
708 Posts
K&n lets in to many contaminates in.... street yes, dirt no!!!

they do flow better theres no doubt about that but I'd rather have a healthy engine than 1-2 hp gain and a dirt in my engine it's up to you...

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I don't really see how u can be getting contaminants in if ur maintaining ur filter. Keep it lightly oiled with a prefilter and lid or filter lid and u should be good. Just no mud bogging lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maintenance in no a problem, we have very dusty conditions on tracks so I clean my filter every ride. But I'm worried, that in dusty conditions it will let dirt inside the engine and destroy the piston.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I run a K&N on my race bike, where I have the BCS Intake. If you change your air filter after every ride you will be fine. I have my air box all cut out, and I rode at a wicked dusty track, like you couldn't ride more than 5 laps at a time because you couldn't see. I changed the filter when I got home, which looked like it had not been changed in years... and there was not one spec of dirt in the intake tube. Just clean them and oil them with the K&N recharger kit and you will be fine. Maybe buy an extra and carry it with you in case it gets overly dusty?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
the outerwear is just another layer of protection from dust and dirt and sand. all 3 not just one specific element. and use the K&N filter kit. cleanser and oil.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
We run K&N w/ a pre filter in normal conditions, foam in extremely dusty or muddy conditions.... I think the foam stops dirt better , but the K&N makes more power on the Dyno.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.