Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 can am ds 450 x. i ran it all summer, never had an issue with it. Last time i took it out, it decided to go into limp mode. Checked all fluids, checked out fine. What would be causing this? Also, where would i get an aftermarket fan or something to help better cool it? And if its going into limp mode because the ecu is thinking its too hot, where do i send it to be re-flashed? Also, what other problems have these quads had, so that way i have an idea of what to keep an eye out for. Thanks!

·
Registered
703 Posts
You can get a Spal pusher fan and run it at the front of the rad.You will have to wire it up and fab up some mounts for the fan.You can also wire the exsisting fan to run when you want it to via a toggle switch.BRP can reflash you ECU to remove limp,maybe BCS?There is tons of good info on this site,the search button is you friend.

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
What have you already done to the quad?

·
Registered
115 Posts
LOL...this just happened to a friend...we checked the fan, relays, coolant (for air)...turned out to be a loose battery connection...start there first, then check the other pieces (does the fan run?) and let us know. If you need a reflash, Rossier (forum sponsor) and BCS and even BRP can all do it for a fee...

-Justin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All that i know that has been done to the quad is the pink wire mod. If i get the ecu reflashed would this cause some grief? And i checked the battery, seems good, although when you run it during the night and turn on the lights they get more dim while i have it at an idle than if I'm actually running it. Which could be normal, I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
Ok. You need to do the cooling mods, swiss cheese the plastics, and read the sticky's. It will touch all of the above. I would try to do those first. Most of them are free to dirt cheap. If you race then get the ecu reflashed, but if you don't race I would wait.

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
Also does your clutch sqeal? You may want to call a dealer with your vin, just to make sure that all of the updates have been done. You will thank us for that if they have not been done yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds great. The clutch has always worked fine, although some days it seemed temperamental trying to get it into neutral. I will do those as soon as i can. Anyone know where i can get the Spal pusher fan? Or what i would be looking at for some mounts?

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 08 mdels have a lower limp mode temp than the newer models, when mine was all stock it would go into limp mode only when I ran it hard on the hot days. The best thing for you is to send the ecu to Rossier and have them reflash it, doing that won't cause any problems with how it runs, call Charlie Rossier and tell him whats going on, one of the most helpful guys you will ever find, BCS has an inline alum cooler that helped mine alot. Make sure the fan is running on hot days if not then look into your relays, its common for the fan relay to burn up then when it get too hot you get the limp mode. Pull the green connector of the engine temp sender, use a short wire to jump the leads on the wires with key on this should make the fan run, if not the bad relay. fix it before you start buying another fan to only cover up whats wrong. CALL ROSSIER. good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys- Came home from college, pulled out the wheeler. Checked fluids and fired it up. Engine light started flashing right away.. Killed it, pulled dipstick and there was a greenish look to the oil. Dang. Oil was also full of little bubbles. Head gasket must have blown. Anyone else think that?

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
Doesn't sound good. Head or waterpump. Leaning towards the head though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, is it normal for the quads to have oil pressure after you kill it? I have had it where i do a fresh oil change, put the recommended oil amount in, drive it a ways, kill it. And if i don't wait a bit before checking the oil it all comes blowing out the resavoir tank.. Could be a problem from the head gasket? Building up too much pressure or something?

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
Sounds like compression getting into the system. I'll idle mine then check after a minute or two with no problems. Compression check or remove head and see what's going on.

·
Registered
280 Posts
^ I with bad moose on this. As for the compression test the little decompresser on the exhaust cam is going bleed off compression so that test might not be the best choice. If you can get your hands on a leak down tester that would be the way to go, pressurize the combustion chamber with the piston at TDC (so the valves are closed) and see what happens and report back. My guess is a leaking head gasket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.