Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever mounted a stick stabalizer on their DS yet? Trying to mount mine up and I can't see a good way to do it. Anyone have any tips or pictures on how they mounted theirs up. Before you ask I would love to have a precision but I can't afford it right now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only place I could find is behind the radiator sticking it out by the rear brake pedal. I would take a pic but the quad is in the shop with clutch getting fixed.
Just play around with you will find a way.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
It always used to take me forever to find the right way to mount it. Like ratsracing said, just play around with it, and you will find a good spot.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got it. Lets just say it took me a while to get it in a good spot! Ended up mounting it on the left side kind of pointing out over the oil tank. If I get the chance I will post some pics on how I did it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just messed around with this for 3 hrs and couldnt find anything that would work and not blast a hole in the radiator.

If anyone has pics of suggestive tips, I'm all ears!

Thnx

Phreak

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It can be kind of a pain trying to find a place to mount a stick stabilizer on the DS. LOL I fought mounting it for about two hours myself. Here are some pictures on how I mounted it up. Sorry about the quality of the pictures, they were taken with my phone. When I get home sometime I will take some better pictures.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks KLM, that was the last configuration I had before I pulled it all off. I couldnt get the stick high enough on the stem to the collar wouldnt bump the T for the brake lines.

Would like to see close ups if you can.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I'll get some close ups for ya. It will probably be next weekend though because that is the next time I will be home. :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
You ppl make me laugh you got to understand what your doing...If you put a stick in heat you will expand the hydraulic fluid to a point it will be no good...Why do you think Precison makes an expansion chamber that cost more thier "Pro model"! Why do you think BRP and BCS makes a relocating kit to move it up on the steering stem? I can't tell whats going on in your pic but if you are in a heat path you may as well take it off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
LOL....from your comment if you can't afford the Precision Pro you might as well stay home. I know you are looking at the second picture, but the stabilizer is not that close to the exhaust, try the opposite side.

After 5 hours at the Heartland Challenge the stabilizer was still effective.....I'm just waiting for the comment on how we need to model this in NASTRAN and that only Can-am can come up with a adaquate mounting method.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You ppl make me laugh you got to understand what your doing...If you put a stick in heat you will expand the hydraulic fluid to a point it will be no good...Why do you think Precison makes an expansion chamber that cost more thier "Pro model"! Why do you think BRP and BCS makes a relocating kit to move it up on the steering stem? I can't tell whats going on in your pic but if you are in a heat path you may as well take it off.
So TNT are you going to give me the $500 to buy a Precision and the mounting bracket!? Because if you are I will gladly take it! I am in college right now and paying for everything out of my own pocket, including college. I don't have the money sitting around like you might to just go out and buy a precision. I make do with what I have, and I can afford the stick stabilizer and that is about it. And don't tell me that it is going to be worthless where it is mounted. Yes it is mounted behind the radiator and in kind of off to the side of the pipe. It's not the ideal place, but that is the only place to mount it. I know that it works because it made a hell of a difference all of last year. It even kept working when it was raced for 5 hours straight at the Heartland Challenge. Yes it might get hot and not work quite as well then. But I don't care. It still is a hell of a lot better then not having one and is a savior for XC races. I have proven the damn thing works, maybe not as well as a precision, but it works for what I can afford. I would love to have a slip on exhaust also. but I don't have the money so I will be running another year with the stock one. Some of us are doing this on a budget and just simply can't afford some stuff.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sorry I think I had a few too many last night :fingersx: I didn't mean to me a smart arse...lol!

I had a long talk one day w/George at Precision, he's a grumpy ol man like me and we go back to same era. We both agreed, and he has ran the test that behind the radiator and beween the engine alot of heat can build up and aluminim that has a high transfer rate into the mounting braket and oil body, so it's a good idea if you want the most of a stab at this location to put some heat tape on the mounting bracket common to the rad and engine, body would not hurt either. Thats what I did w/ our old precision and I had a heat wall made of tape but it did not stay....One could also try to isolate the braket from the aluminum somehow maybe lets see fibergass of a material of low heat transfer.

BRP sells the heat tape at the dealer it's made for the fuel tank that came in 2009 I beleive or auto store or local speed shops, or if you can find some way to get up high by the bars that be best....reflective heat tape or a better location is cheap!

Grantmi - Try CFD not NASTRAN! :fingersx:

·
Registered
900 Posts
It can be kind of a pain trying to find a place to mount a stick stabilizer on the DS. LOL I fought mounting it for about two hours myself. Here are some pictures on how I mounted it up. Sorry about the quality of the pictures, they were taken with my phone. When I get home sometime I will take some better pictures.

OK I see it now lol I was out with a few buddies drinking beer last night and all I seen was a big blurb so I started laughing at myself. :hahaha:

If you want more out this, it looks like an aluminum oil body? Take a magnet to it if not mag aluminum or is that stainless, either way it's right in the path of the radiator our Precision is lower....Sometimes when things get hot you may not be able to tell on these stick models it's failing. Get some cheap heat reflective tape and wrap it if it has to stay here......

Or if you can think of a way to make a mounting braket to go to the upper stem forward of the radiator you'd be better off to keep heat and dirt off it. I don't have a quad here or I'd look and see what I can come up with. If you would post a pic of the upper front of the quad w/the stem and frame in it I can see what I can do to help you out.

·
Registered
900 Posts
LOL....from your comment if you can't afford the Precision Pro you might as well stay home. I know you are looking at the second picture, but the stabilizer is not that close to the exhaust, try the opposite side.

After 5 hours at the Heartland Challenge the stabilizer was still effective.....I'm just waiting for the comment on how we need to model this in NASTRAN and that only Can-am can come up with a adaquate mounting method.

The exhaust is not the bigger problem it's air goes back it's in the path of the radiator, try modeling a Computation Fluid Dynamic model to get the picture right j/k!.....lol!

Or give George @ Precision or the one of the race teams a call they can they can explain it or just look at any pro quad don't matter what stab at this location heat is they prob why the go up the bars or heat shield it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
TNT...once again you miss the point...Kelly fully understands the a Precision Pro mounted above the plastic would be the way to go.......but unless you are willing to donate the $$$ to his Poor College Kid Racing Fund be constructive or go annoy someone else.

P.S. - If he wants an ME's input I can spew as much BS as you do.....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I thought about putting some heat tape on there, but I dunno. As far as mounting it somewhere else there really isn't anywhere else that will work. I have looked at it and tried to figure out a different place. Basically there is no other place to mount it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yea I was going to put some reflective heat tape on there this year, just haven't got around to it yet. As far as mounting it somewhere else there really isn't anywhere else that will work. I have looked at it and tried to figure out a different place. Basically there is no other place to mount it.

We got our's down low too put some heat reflective tape I got from BRP CHEAP!!!!! it seems to be doing ok but I will relocate it soon w/ BCS's.....Look at the BCS clamp on thier site it may give you some ideas for a cheap sheet metal bracket....Again it's the frame getting hot from the radiator and engine, not the exhaust being close to the stab. Sorry if thats annoying but they didn't leave alot of room just like the rear PEP shock head needs a frame mod, just like some of the rest of the quad is difficult to work on......

If you get some tape put it on the underside of your coolant recovery tank and on the bottom side of your fuel tank too keep heat away. Hyd fluid, fuel, coolant does not like heat thats NO bs!...doesn't need a ME to figure out.

·
Registered
900 Posts
TNT...once again you miss the point...Kelly fully understands the a Precision Pro mounted above the plastic would be the way to go.......but unless you are willing to donate the $$$ to his Poor College Kid Racing Fund be constructive or go annoy someone else.

You been telling me your an Engineer for the past year but I have yet to see ANY engineering info in your post. You got a quad look at it see if you can come up with a cheap effective way to put this stick stab in a better location away from heat. YOU miss the point, hyd fluid, fuel, rubber seals, coolant do not like heat any engineer would know that and to at least put some heat tape at this location. I AM being constructive you are not.

·
Registered
900 Posts

Wrong again - The Precision Pro is the ONLY stand alone model that can be mounted here behind the radiator no heat tape required, that has an expansion chamber to allow hot hyd fluid a place to escape. It does not need to be mounted above the plastic as you stated above.....you really don't get it! BS Engineer? I get tired of arguing w/people like you that don't know what thier talking about~!

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
hey kids lets take a break! yea were all on a budget here im sure TNT wouldnt spend money thats not needed if there was a way around it but the point is the GPR is superior and your going to have to either fork out bucks for it or work around the flaws of the other stick stabilizers. i have one as well and yea its better than nothing but back to the ORIGINAL purpose of this thread there is no great way to mount it. besides this thread is like 8 months old why bring it back up?

TNT, your info is always solid and appreciated, i dont know why people would give you crap, i mean....you do this stuff for a living lol so yea until, a GPR can be purchased or scotts makes one, the stick stabilizer is gunna be great, just try to make heat guard if your noticing any fading after a couple hours

1 - 20 of 28 Posts