Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any memebrs use the DS for XC racing this past year? If so what were some of the things you found were essential... I am coming from a YFZ and I am trying to get everything rady for this season so any help would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blizzard24 @ Dec 4 2008, 03:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Any memebrs use the DS for XC racing this past year? If so what were some of the things you found were essential... I am coming from a YFZ and I am trying to get everything rady for this season so any help would greatly be appreciated.[/b]

I do worcs series, but I know for GNCC that Houser racing makes good a-arms that arent so wide, and longtravel which is way better for GNCC racing, that is all I know about it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have come across two must haves
1) Stronger tie rods
2) Clutch basket replaced w a stronger unit

If anyone else can add to this list it may help a few people feel more comfortable running this machine in XC events.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Stronger tie rods for sure, clutch basket and hub from bcs, skid plates are a must, if you don't have the xc version order the frame supports, also you want a race radiator guard for mud, ds is terrible for overheating so run engine ice with a inline cooler,

·
Registered
71 Posts
hey,whered you find your stronger tie rods?
ours have been made in a machine shop. 10$ each and stronger than the tie rod end!

Brp only selling tie rod assembly for 134 (canadian )$$ ...EACH

so at 10$ eacg in alluminium 5000.... quite a deal !!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Houser Racing sells chromoly tie rods in stock lengths. they will run about $60 for the set but well worth it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have also heard of people putting sleeves over the stock ones for a cheap alternative. I have also heard of people making them out of spring steel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I run the ixcr and gncc was on the kawi last year now the ds the one thing that I found has help the most was the flexx bars and pro precesion stablizer but first you have to work on protecting the ds

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am thinking of switching to a Can Am next year, but dont know to much about them. I saw a new 2011 at the Rock Run GNCC this weekend and got to check it out. Looks like a solid machine for 2011. The reason I am thinking to switching is that Can Am supports the sport. I would rather give them my money than a company that dont. But then again I dont want junk. Doesn't seem you all have to much done to your Can Am's. Are they that good stock?

For instance my Kawi has: Exit shocks, ARS-FX A Arms, +2 ARS FX steering stem, Precision steering stabilizer, Fuel customs intake, procom ECU, IMS tank, IMS handguards, Hiper wheels, Flexx Bars, HMF full exhaust.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thats why i ride brp they support the sport mx and gncc and snocross no other companys are doing f the japs lol they dont support there riders the canam team will help the little guy out at the track JAPS Dont

·
Registered
7 Posts
Josh what do you have done to your machine? Is derisi helping you with your set up? I saw your running his graphics this year.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ihave houser xc lt a arm from the gncc race team 150$ and some used lt 20.5 floats from ebay that santorebuilt and cut down then a stock 2011 rear xc shock Canam gave me the moto exhuast and frame upgrades and the race ecu the gncc team will help you with anything you need i am still running the stock piston over 300 hours and still doesnt use oil

·
Registered
7 Posts
I really am leaning towards the can am....i have two built kawi 450rs and I have more issues and no support from kawi...why cause they dont have a race team...even Joel Hetrick dropped them after having issues with keeping motors together.

Going to Can Am dealer tomorrow and see what kinda deal I can get. if the deal is right I might be on can am's after the summer break or at least by snowshoe....how can we not support the company that supports our sport!

Not that the Can Am is going to make me a better rider, I'm not getting any younger here, but when i checked them out this weekend at Rock Run at the demo area. I was impressed with how they were put together and for the average C to B class racer, there was not much you needed to do with them to get them race ready for those classes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
B Vet class here

I have done a few things to my '09 to race in the OXC series in MO. The factory race package is great for harescrambles. Precision Stablizer. Chain and rotor guard to delete low-hanging stock xxc swingarm skid plate. Engine Ice is mandatory!! Dirtworks revalved and changed the spring rate on the rear shock, eliminating the kick-up I had on small logs and g-outs. Trying 3 degrees castor this weekend for tight MO tracks.
Keep an eye on the lower ball joints. I had one break last race. It was only 6 months old, with 5 races plus pratice time when it broke. Luckily I was going up a hill when it broke, so it just sort of came to a stop gradually instead of a trip over the bars. When I got it up on a stand, the other side had play in it also. Going to see if I can find stronger replacement parts next time I change them.
I have bent the tierods from hard tree hits. I am considering getting stronger ones, but I am worried that it will brake the tie-rod ends if I make the rods stronger. I would rather bend something and finish than break something and DNF. Has anyone had trouble with the rod ends after using stronger tie rods?
Overall I love this quad for harescrables. I will buy another DS xxc if I ever wear this one out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts