Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a ds 450 and need to know if its fairly simple to change clutch myself or not. And where to get a repair manual or other instructions on how to do it

·
Registered
425 Posts
Changing clutches is super simple! I'm guessing you only have to replace the plates, which I believe there are 9 of. all ya have to do is

1) drain the oil
2) loosen clutch cover bolts and remove clutch cover
3) remove springs and clutch plates leaving them in order of outside to inside
4) clean out the clutch housing with some contact cleaner
5) Find your two new outsid4e clutch plates (Usually the spaces between the little squares along the plates are tighter on the very first one to go in, and very last one to go in- Inside outside plate)
6) rough all the plates up a little bit on cement floor so you dont have clutch slipping
7) put a little oil on each plate and throw them back in

Its a super simple procedure and the little tips like rubbing the plates to rough them up are optional, but definately ya should consider it.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
i think the clutch housing comes apart with a phillips screwdriver... i think?

·
Registered
425 Posts
The clutch housing you can use the philips or I believe an 8 or 10 mil socket... no special tools required after that to change the plates... if your changing the entire basket however, you may need a special tool.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ya. if your gonna do it just do it all... most its come with everything ya need to do it all. No point having new parts with half worn parts.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Take the clutch cover off... than there usually is another bolt on the inside. just take the cover off and have a look at it. . . its super easy to figure out.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
No special tools needed unless you are taking the basket off, you need an impact gun, and a special wrench that holds the basket from moving. Its fairly easy to change the plates though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts