Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for the add. After racing my LTZ-400 this season we are going to start on a new DS 450 XC. Adding a few parts like suspension, steering stab, etc. anyways who here races XC with your Can-Am? What modifications have worked for you? What did not? I really would appreciate helpful information.

Chris,

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was all new to the DS last year. Bought a new '14 X XC. I race XC here in the East. There are 2 guys on here that are helpful. Tommy Thompson & Troy (goes by CCCutter). First thing I did was got the stock suspension reworked internally. That made a huge difference. Next thing I did was changed the gearing. Tommy suggested (as this is what he runs & is needed for ground clearance) 13 front & 39 rear. This will give you good bottom end for woods racing. Got both from BCS. Will want to keep their # handy. They've got a lot of the stuff we need. While you are at it, get their front sprocket retaining bolt/clip, long super cooler & rear sprocket guard. I cut/modified my swing arm skid plate to still protect the rear brake rotor. You will also want to get at least a slip on exhaust and a race ECU if possible. Not sure if Can Am is still doing the racer packages for the DS. If buying new ask your dealer. In the racer package the slip on & race ECU were provided. When you crunch/break a part of the frame is when you will contact Troy. He has solid pieces that come with a 1 yr warranty. Other things could be done if you look around this site but this is where I started. Continuing this year as well to improve on things little by little. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, for all that

This year I'm riding a modded LTZ-400,

Elka suspension, houser nerfs, precision stabilizer, etc.

Any mods for cooling aside from the skins for the front?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mike h is right on finding out (searching on here) about the cooling mod. I just have not done this yet. I have only had 1 overheating issue & it was a real slop fest. The biggest problem I see is the OEM fans are junk/weak. Seems like they just aren't that durable. Do not currently know of anyone that makes a better one or one from another brand that will fit. I run Engine Ice & put the BCS large in line cooler in, that was it. Rad mod my be next depending on how long this current fan holds up.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've posted several things on here about things I've done to help the frame survive. I'm a huge fan of BCS's frame reinforcements kits, both upper and lower. I also really like CCCutters solid frame rails. Both of my quads have all solid frames now. As Brian and Mike both said cooling mods are important also. Good luck with it and the best thing you can do for the Ds is not hit trees lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you folks. I will look into everything. We pretty much have no rules. I am trying to keep the overall cost right around 15K.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Warnert Fuel tank

After searching everywhere I basically gave up looking for the Warnert racing 4.0 gallon DS tank. The other day I randomly typed in DS450 on eBay and found this gem. Came of Adam Mcgills old Can-Am. Super stoked!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Those tanks are pretty sweet. I have one and it is a complete pain in the butt to install. You have to remove the engine to get it in and there are other mods that you have to do to use it. I really do like mine though and would do it again to have the extra gas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tommy, do you by chance recall all that had to be done to install it? I intend to put it on immeadiatley after I buy a new Can-Am.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I got a new set of radiator hoses because they have to be routed and cut different from how I had them cut. You have to mount your ecu on the upper frame rails. I have billet frame rails so I just drilled and tapped them and mounted a plate to mount the ecu to. I went to Belmetric's online store and bought rubber isolator mounts to mount the ecu with. I also used thermo tec heat tape(the stuff with fiberglass backing) to line the tank. If you have any questions you can text or call 704-796-4002

1 - 13 of 13 Posts