Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 08 DS450X last week or so and finally got to take her for a spin. Love the suspension, the power band reminds me of my old 250R … not much on the bottom end and the wham(see ya) I heard a little clutch noise but not much (wasn’t riding really hard) what I did notice is the sound of metal or something rattling around inside the engine or somewhere there bouts. I’m thinking tranny because if I rev the motor I don’t here it but when it’s in gear and I’m moving I here it. Any ideas? It looks like the dealer might have done some warranty work because I saw metal shavings on the swing arm but not sure yet, I need to call them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My buddy had a similar problem on his DS, from what we could tell it was the chain hitting the swing arm. We tightened the chain to spec and the noise went away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I will check the chain out. I hope that it is something that simple.

·
Registered
323 Posts
my chain slapped, too. tighten the chain up. you can see where it's slapping the swing arm. i thought the same thing when i got mine.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
well on top of the chain the rotax is a pretty noisy engine...i chan hear it over the exhaust sometimes haha.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You are right, the engine is so noisy, that my buddy didn't even want to have a ride... he said "what if it gets fucked up while i'm on..." so he preferred not to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, the engine is a noisy beast. I noticed it when I did the "ride says it all" thing. Sounds like a diesel engine. I can't wait until i have this broken in so I can cut the wire and open the air box and pipe it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The noise you hear in the engine could be cam chain adjuster. I have the same noise and was told by my dealer thats what is is. It is normal, is waht they told Me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We are having a simular issue with our 08 450X as well. With ours, it will do it both in neutral and in any of the gears. It sounds like a high pitch squeel and it's loud enough that I can hear it over the motoworks exhaust. It consistantly starts around the 6000 rpm range and only lasts for a second or two and then abruply goes away. If I had to make a wild guess, and I stress wild, I think it might be the timing chain tensioner. Being that the bike is brand new and only has about six hours on it, it might possibly need a little more break-in time. If anyone has any ideas as to what this is, please let me know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
yes louder pipe ... i totally agree... lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
My dealer told me it is the roller bearings on the crank. not to worry and that was 4 years ago so i believe him. Of course many other things have failed but not the motor. I wont buy another canam but it is a riot when something isnt broken or failed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts