Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
look at the pic....under the blue tape there is a pink wire. its in a loop taped together. all you need to do is cut that wire, and tape the ends off. the plastics come off easy, just keep track of your screws. once the plastics are off you will see on the left side of the gas tank area, sorta near where the key goes in, this picture that is posted. follow the steps as i said, cut, tape, put plastics back on, take off air box lid and remove the spark arrestor and youll be set.

Ahhhh. Much better. Thanks!! I will be doing this next week and the week after I will order my FMF slip on, K&N filter and lower front sprocket. Thats all I plan on doing as I'm just a go fast rec rider

· Registered
900 Posts
I have a couple of young teens that like to ride my 09 450. I was concerned about the difference in power once I cut this wire so I soldered some extra lengths to the cut wire ends and ran them through a toggle switch. I located that switch under my seat where the tool kit would be. Now I can switch back and forth between the 2 modes whether its crazy dad riding or the kids. They don't know about the switch so they have know idea how scarey fast this bike can go now....lol
So you got your lid off, a new pipe and sometimes you run the pink fuel map and sometimes you don't? What are all your mods. If you are doing this you could be running too lean and that will cause engine damage when the kids are riding and your running stock fuel map with more air.

· Registered
900 Posts
If you know you'll be doing more than air filter/intake/pipe/piston mods and you have the money it may be worth getting the PC 5 auto-tuner...It will keep your fuel-air map dyno tunned automatically at all times on and off the track. In some cases you can add mods and not even need another dyno tune. The throttle response and additional tunning power is well worth the $.

· Registered
900 Posts
does the pc5 use an o2 sensor? and if so how do you keep it from fouling when running leaded race fuels?
Yes! The PC 5 and dyno tune should be tunned somewhat lean for max power 13:9 – 14:0:1, 02 sensor from a rich leaded tune over prolonged time can get carbon build up or destroyed as noticed by a reduction in throttle response or poor gas mileage. I think you’ll get at least a season out of them most have last season that I know of. We’re tuned and modded to E-85 alcohol so don’t have the much of the problem since it burns cleaner, these wide band O2 sensors with fail over time just like normal ones but thats just racing.

· Registered
900 Posts
Both you can download thier MAPs off thier website and create one, in either case the auto-tune feature keeps the MAP tuned at all times. The O2 sensor based on the amount of OXY sends voltage signals to the PC5 fuel map to add or subtract fuel and keep the 14.7:1 air-to-fuel or what ever the tune is. Other ECU system sensors are no effected directly other than still sending signals to the ECU based on thier parameters. The PC 5 intercepts the ECU's fuel pulse to the injector and modifies it based on a RMP input.....Calibration of the TPS is still critical for it's operation.

· Registered
900 Posts
Opening the air box to allow more air in should help, here’s why: Think of your intake track and one big cone with the biggest part of the cone being at the filter smallest at the intake port. In this cone, vacuum air from the intake stroke in drawn in at the filter where barometric pressure and temp reading's are stored in the ECU from the AAPTS sensor in the air box. As big air enters the filter and is coned down by a series of steps the velocity increases and pressure decreases at the port. The more air or vacuum pressure you can get into the filter the more velocity and pressure drop at the intake port. As a low pressure area at the intake port develops, that will help get air into the combustion chamber faster for better fuel atomization(combining of fuel-air to a single molecular structure). However, as the amont of air increases so does the demand for more fuel to a point in higher modded engines a bigger injector is required to match atomization based on air speed the MAP sensor measures at the manifold. Just the opposite happens on the exhaust stroke as a result of pipes, slip-ons, and porting.

We cut our air box completely out,

So to answer your question simply:

If i have an aftermarket slip-on do i still need to run no lid on air box? if i cut the pink wire??

You don't have to but I think you will find more power if you do in most cases. :)

· Registered
900 Posts
Ok thanks and mod wise do you recomend anything else??? (Mainly for hair-scrambles)
I don't what level you race scrambles at but if your a beginner I'd think your good w/slip on, pink cut, lid off, we are regional pro and don't even run HC pistons on long HS since it takes the reliabilty down in long 3+ races....I'd think the closer you are to engine stock for HS scrambles up to the novice b class the better. If you find alot of dirt is clogging up your filter and box then protec makes a breather lid to keep dirt out....HS are more about reliabiliity and physical stamina vs power imo.

Run the louver kit some run a wire mesh screen behind it, ICE coolant, keep rad clean, replace all the BRP hose clamps, BCS has a coolant system mod that relocates the recovery tank away from the hot engine and adds a bigger fan always on that simplifies the system if you over heat on hot days. You can also rewirre the stock fan to head light circuit to keep always on or to the HL switch since it loads up the battery for starts. Get rid of the thermostat it's plastic and if it cracks or stays closed you done, replace w/a metal elboe from auto-store all it does is open at 70 deg F, remove it coolant always flows no biggie!

CV4 makes a fuel tank boot or wrap the bottom of the tank common to the engine with reflective heat tape, also the bottom of the coolant recovery tank common to the engine too. Also cut 2 inch diameter holes in the body plastic common to the fuel tank to get heat out prevent fuel boiling under pressure.

· Registered
46 Posts
Pink wire mod question? I have full motoworks exhaust motoworks fmi and k&n filter have not cut pink wire though. My quad im pretty sure went into lymph mode during my race this past weekend in first moto. If you cut pink wire will this help this problem. I know race ecm will but wondering if anything else will.

· Registered
58 Posts
How much do you actually gain with the pink wire mod? It sounds like a massive gain.. I just ordered a big gun slip on and next week I will order the air filter and box lid.

· Premium Member
4,307 Posts
where is this pink wire?
Under the front plastics by the ignition switch. Do a search on this site and you should find it or try Rossier's website.

· Registered
211 Posts
Guys i just got a '10 DS 450X MX, and a yoshi slip-on do you guys think it would do me good to cut the pink wire? i ride a lot, like every weekend trail riding and track riding now and then, would this mod screw up durability or the warranty?

· Registered
4,794 Posts
no. i dont know if the 2010 has the pink wire though....could be the 2011 that they took it off though....

but no cutting the pink wire doesnt void your warranty and doesnt affect your longevity

21 - 40 of 43 Posts