Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my wife was riding her 08 DS450X today, the check light came on and we noticed the cooling fan did not come and it was running hot. Checked the fuse and it was ok. Towed it back to the truck. Got home started it up and the light did not come on. Anyone had this happen, is there any known issue with the fan not coming on?

08 ds450:)
FMF Factory 4.1 slip on
Lid off
Pink wire cut

07 YZ250F
FMF Facory 4.1 slip on

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Cooling Fan problem

Has anyone had there cooling fan stop working and overheat? The orange light came on solid while my Wife was riding last Sunday. We towed it back and took it home and after it cooled down started it up and the light was off. Checked the Fan fuse and it's ok. Any help would be apreciated.

DS450X
Lid Off
Pink wire cut
FMF Factory 4.1 slip on

YZ250F
FMF Factory 4.1 slip on

·
Registered
425 Posts
How fast was your wife riding it? If it was ridden to clowly it will puke out colant and can over heat. Gotta keep lots of air running through them to help with cooling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She rides it fast thru the trails and we were climbing some hill's but nothing we have not done before. I checked he coolant it's fine, fuse fine the fan jsut stopped coming on so it overheats. Is there any aftermarket fans for the DS450X?

Anyone else had there fan just stop working. We bought the DS450X new in March and had the clutch updated a month or so after that and it's been fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey,
My names Travis and i've had the same problem except the amber light wasnt noticed until the bike went into 'limp home' mode.
have you had any joy in fixing the problem, is the fan supposed to run all the time or cut in and out?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
That's weird, the only time I have heard of the fan not working is if the fuse blows. I would take it to your dealer and have them hook it up to buds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had the same thing happen this weekend. The fan stopped working then overheated and went into limp mode. I also chewed through the rear brake pads and only just have a little over 10 hours on the quad. The quad is still under warranty so Im going to drop it off at the dealer "again" and I will post what they find out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I came across some other forums that mentions the relay. The fan relay and the fuel pump are the same so I switched them and then the fuel pump wouldnt kick on so that confirmed that its a bad relay. Going to have the dealer test it just to confirm.

·
Registered
425 Posts
In regards to Sprockets question about whether or not the Fan cuts in or out, the answer is yes. Once the coolant reaches a certain temperature, then the fan will come on.... Much like the air conditioning in your house.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fan Problem

As it turns out we did take it to the dealer and the Fan relay was bad. Luckly it was under warranty so it was free. It's $90.00 if it's out of warranty so I hope it does not fail down the road. Anyone know where to get an after market relay? Also has anyone added a pusher fan to help with the cooling?

DS450X
Lid off
Pink wire cut
FMF Factory 4.1 slip on

YZ250F
FMF Factory 4.1 slip on

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
Under the front plastics. If you look in the vent you can see them. I use a long pair of needle nose pliers too replace them. I would do all three at once.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Under the front plastics. If you look in the vent you can see them. I use a long pair of needle nose pliers too replace them. I would do all three at once.
What happened to the good ole,days when people used the search feature on this site?????? i:smile3:

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
LOL! newbies

1 - 19 of 19 Posts