Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I some how broke a little black wire that is down by the right side heal guard and for some reason my rear brakes will not work, there is absolutely no pressure at all on the pedal. The brakes worked pefectly fine before i broke this wire, any ideas?

·
Registered
459 Posts
What do you mean wire, brakes do not use wires. Maybe you mean brake hose? My 08' had braking problems too, and found out the rear master cylinder was bad. Take some pics so we can help you better.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im pretty sure it was the brake light wire that i broke, but when i broke that wire immediately after the brakes did not work.

·
Registered
900 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ds450power @ Jan 22 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
im pretty sure it was the brake light wire that i broke, but when i broke that wire immediately after the brakes did not work.[/b]
Do you have fluid in the reservoir? Yes those two brake light wires that plug into the master cyl, I think you may have broken a pressure seal.....put it back together new add fluid and bleed the brakes. They really need a guard there I think Ill make one....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new to the sight but race a DS450 in xc events on the East Coast...AGP, GNCC, trying some D-6 this year. Anyway, I came on because I have the same poroblem w/ rear brakes...gone! It happened outta nowhere. When I bleed them I can get some pressure on the pedal but once I'm done I lose it. I'll check that wire but I can't imagaine that being it. Maybe a pressure seal/ o-ring? Do they have a re-build kit available?

Glad I found the sight,
Bill

·
Registered
323 Posts
i've had to rebleed mine three or four times now. dealer couldn't find anything wrong.. so i just keep bleeding them. =/

·
Registered
224 Posts
i had the same problem, i bleed them for hours and got nothing, turns out i bent the axle and didnt notice it rite away and it wore the breaks pads down to the point of it being on metal to metal, u mite want to replace your break pads n maybe check your axle if its the stock hollow axle, mine bent off little backyard type jumps lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanx for the response. I spoke to a guy today "in the know" and he says that sometimes a vaccuum builds up and you lose the petal. he says to cut a slit or a few small holes in the rubber diaphram inside the reservior. I'm gonna try it.

I tried to order a new master cylinder but ironically enough there is a new part # that supercedes the old # ????? sounds a little fishy, don't you think? Oh, and Can Am doesn't have them in stock, 2-4 weeks!! I'm wondering if there was a defective seal or something that caused them to change it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
still cant figure out these damn brakes, i tried bleeding them forever, pads are good, the pin that squishes the pad only moves about 2mm and wont go no further.

If theres a seal that needs to be replaced could you post the part # so i can get it ordered

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think that we should all complain to our dealers, and have them contact can-am on the matter. These are defective, i talked to my dealer and they had the same problem happen to the floor model!!!

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
they ended up replacing my full rear brake system when i took it in. havent had a problem with this set yet

1 - 13 of 13 Posts