Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done my share of searching and all I can come up with is a few parts in a diagram called "rod set" is that what I need to rebuild my rear master cylinder? I don't have brakes and when I try to bleed them the master cylinder isn't creating any pressure. Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You need to pressure bleed the rear brakes. I hand bled them for hours before I finally went and bought a pressure bleeder. Works great now!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to pressure bleed the rear brakes. I hand bled them for hours before I finally went and bought a pressure bleeder. Works great now!
PLEASE explain. I hand bled them with no luck...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep thats the one. seems retarded but cutting that little thing will make those rear tires lock up like crazy. i cut mine in 2010 and havent had an issue since then
found this in a different thread. I haven't removed the cap to my master cylinder bottle since it reads full.. I will try and cut a slit in the rubber and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
With the cap off, can you build brake pressure?

I believe a pressure bleeder screws on to the master cylinder capand you are able to push fluid through forcing the air out.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
the pressure bleeder fits over the bleed nipple on the caliper. hook it up, take cap off fill ressi. compressed air hooks to bleeder and sucks on the nipple pulling all the air out of the lines. kinda a two person job. you can get the bleeder at auto zone or any auto parts stores.

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
Thank you cccutter!

I do know that it seems to be a 50/50 shot at getting these things bled without using something like this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took the cap off today, bled the brakes with the cap off and they are fine! It was actually suctioned close when I pulled the rubber cap out. Slit the cap and I'm good now!

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
Glad it was just that simple. Always bleed brakes with the lid off no matter what the brakes are on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was in such a rush to figure out why I had no brakes it didn't dawn on me to take the cap off. It's cold in the garage, I don't think straight! LOL

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
I understand that! LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having a problem with my 2011 Ds 450 XXC rear brake pedal pushing completely down to the stop without building much pressure. This started occurring after replacing a faulty rear brake pressure switch. The entire system has been bled multiple times by hand and with a pressure bleeder. Pedal still sinks. I took the master cylinder off and apart expecting the o-rings inside to need replacing. It looks like one of the o-rings is shot. When I looked for a rebuild kit I was unable to find anything...what a surprise. That would be too easy, right?! BRP does have a "rebuild kit" that includes only about half of the serviceable parts... Its called a "rod set". As far as I know, the brake systems on the DS quads are from Wilwood. I contacted Wilwood to see if I could get the o-rings for the piston inside of the master cylinder. I was told that due to their contract/s with BRP, they cannot sell parts for OEM applications such as this one. This means the only way to get a new master cylinder piston/o-rings is to buy a new complete master cylinder assembly for $209.99 (current pricing)

Does anyone know of a better solution to this problem that would cost less than 200 bucks? I know some people have converted to TRX systems etc. but that seems like too much trouble for me. I like the stock system, but don't understand why service parts are so difficult to come by. Obviously these quads are rare, but if I can find rebuild kits by All Balls for KTM quads etc., I don't see any reason it should be this hard to find parts for such a common issue on a DS.

HELP!!! Thanks!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts