Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have an 08 DS that gave me intermidiant power problems and threw the service engine light on and eventually flashing and then shutdown on me at a derby. I didn't even made it to registration tent.

I believe it was the Main Relay, it would stall when I was pushing on the Relay.

I brought it back home and wanted to grab the numbers off the Relay and replace it but I came across something that doesn't seem right.

My Main Relay and Cooling Fan Relay were identical(++78518A) and my Fuel Pump Relay was different(++88205D).

I was under the impression that the Fuel Pump and Fan Relay were identical and the main was different.

This concerns me because I got the Fuel Pump Relay replaced at the dealership 2 weeks after getting it.

Did they swap the Relays over? I can't seem to find anything in the shop book about what Relay goes where.

Any help would be appreciated as I will go and buy all new Relays and be done with this.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
I have all three relays the same. My quad runs fine. It's probally just a different brand, would be my guess. Do a search on here and you'll have the p/n for the relays at an auto store.

·
Registered
94 Posts
replacing relays from the top

Replaced all 3 of mine thru the vent in the plastics. didnt have to take body panels off. I used the autozone relays. see if they last longer than the brp crap.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Replaced all 3 of mine thru the vent in the plastics. didnt have to take body panels off. I used the autozone relays. see if they last longer than the brp crap.
they wont last longer necessarily, but they are warrantied, so if one fails, bring it back to autozone and get it replaced

·
Registered
571 Posts
thats what they look like, the duralast part number is the autozone one and its correct, i dont know about the oreillys one

·
Registered
294 Posts
It's exactly like this?

I have the part number from another post:

O'reilly's (BWD relay part # R3223) or at Autozone (Duralast relay part # 19283)

But i'm from Spain (Europe), so i will try buy one equal.
The o'reilly bwd relay part # is correct.

·
Registered
19 Posts
well I joined the many of you all in my first relay failure today I was just lucky that the relay worked 1 last time before it quit or else I would have played hell getting the quad back to the truck.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I suggest that every DS owner have 3 spare relays with them on every ride
Unless you run a BRP race harness , which only has 2 relays.

·
Registered
601 Posts
For sure! And a tool to change em, cause not to many hands can fit through that vent!

EDIT: Also one question, not sure if its been discussed but would a higher amp relay work since they would not burn as quick or would the system not like more juice flowing through it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
correct me if i am wrong.

the middle relay is the fuel pump and the others are fan and lites?

i know fuel pump is a must have. heres the question.

if i dont use my lites do i still need it that relay?

if i can hot wire my fan to run on all the time. do i need a relay for that?

i dont know much on electrical. just asking :suicide:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I believe if you are standing infront of your ds, the relay on the right is the fuel pump and the one on the left is the fan

·
Registered
344 Posts
correct me if i am wrong.

i know fuel pump is a must have. heres the question.

if i dont use my lites do i still need it that relay?

if i can hot wire my fan to run on all the time. do i need a relay for that?

i dont know much on electrical. just asking :suicide:
The light relay also does the dash lights (Neutral light etc.) & the rear brake light, I believe. So it doesnt just do the head lights.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yes, standing in front, right relay is fuel pump.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts