Can-Am DS-450 Forum :: DS450HQ.com banner

Ticking sound at high RPM

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  blackbird 
#1 ·
I picked up a new hold over 2008 DS450x. I have only ridden it two times for a total of about four hours on the sand at St. Anthony. I noticed a ticking sound at higher RPM's. The sound wasn't consistent though, more like something flapping around. I thought maybe valves or piston slap, but that would be a consistent tick wouldn't it? Then I thought maybe something on the front chain sprocket or chain guide. Any ideas?

#2 ·
First thing to check is the sprocket, I thought my chain was noisy until I pulled off the cover and the sprocket pretty much feel into my hands. Its held in with a c-clip and they are known to break, bcs makes a product that solves that problem

#3 ·
I just bought a 08 ds450 and am having a few issues. The first was a hard to start. Don't know much history on it just that I bought it from my bank as a repo. I was told that it had been under water. Can't find any signs of it though. Not sure how long it had been setting after the accident, but oil was clean ( no water) I changed the oil and filter and finally got it running. Ran for about 10 to 15 mins and shut it off. Let set bout 5 mins and tried to start again starter made funny noise and then nothing. Got a starter on the way but would like any info about this bike. After the short run all oil was in the case.

#4 ·
blackbird, new holdovers are put together at the dealership, sometimes they forget to tighten all bolts, go through the bike and check all nuts and bolts for tightness, maybe its just your plastic flapping or something else not tightened. really cant help much other than that without hearing the sound.
eman27, lets start your own thread and not hijack someone elses with your issue!! we would all love to help you, but it will get confusing on here if we are having 2 different conversations at once!!

#6 ·
where you located? raining here in az right now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.